IGNORED

1st Gen 5th revision 2011

Dragonslayer

It's been a slow project, but it's now ramping up for a conclusion. I started breaking down my 87 VR last Fall in preparation for the winter project of going through the bike again and fixing the mechanicals as needed, repainting and reassembling.

My good friend Richard generously offered to let me ride his 2007 Midnight Venture while mine was down for the rehab. Since he has been in no hurry for me to return it I probably took more time than I should have in progressing this project. But, now its time to get the ball rolling so with 4 days off work I'm ramping up for the completion.

Last fall after I had dissassembled the bike Randy R came down came down and spent a couple of days helping me (more like showing me ) how to do the valve shim adjustment procedure.

My son Clint has been helping by sanding and prepping body parts for paint. Now, after getting all of the paint materials together:mo money:, today we are about to start the painting process. I have cleaned and repainted the the engine block while the bike is mostly dissembled and will be redoing the carbs and fixing some minor mechanical problems during the reassembly.

I call this project revision five since this is the 5th paint job that the bike has had since factory original. I have learned a lot on each revision and am hoping this one will come out right and be the final one.

The last one (as many of you may recall) was a royal blue metal flake with gold metal flake flames. While better than the previous revision I was not completely satisfied with the out come. It reminded me and some had commented that it looked like the paint job on a bass boat. :doh:So, on this revision I have selected an electric blue (Kia Rally Blue Metallic) base color with silver pinstripping, then Clear coat until it pops. (lossing the flames) I am however preserving the Dragon Slayer coat of arms logo on the front fender.

I have attached some pics as the project is now befor primer coat of paint. By the way when this project is complete I bought enough paint to paint the van to match the bike.

In a pre-finished, parts every where sort of manner. Glad you making progress, I am going to be doing something similar with my 89 soon, though may not do the painting on this go-round. Looking forward to seeing the final produt.

All the best,

Norm

that is quite an undertaking and my hat is off to you for your perseverance. it looks like you are doing this project outdoors as well and that in itself can be challenging. best of luck with the completion, will be looking forward to the finished product !! btw that is some good friend to lend you his bike, you probably owe him a cup of joe or a cold beer for that !!

that is quite an undertaking and my hat is off to you for your perseverance. it looks like you are doing this project outdoors as well and that in itself can be challenging. best of luck with the completion, will be looking forward to the finished product !! btw that is some good friend to lend you his bike, you probably owe him a cup of joe or a cold beer for that !!

I see him a couple of times a week at the Fraternal Order of Eagles Club Aerie. Everytime I see him the first drink is on me, I helped get him re-elected as Club President last week and paid for the insurance. He's glad someone is riding it and taking care of it since he only goes for a ride about once a year. I think he is probably thinking about that ride about now because of the weather that's why I'm trying to get my bike finished.