IGNORED

Trunk Light Bar Question...

My '91 VR came with an aftermarket light bar on the trunk. It has amber turn signals on the corners, "tail lights", just inboard, and the center section is a brake light.

One of the turn signals burned out, and I thought I could get to the lamps by removing 3 screws from inside the trunk... Yeah, right. As it turns out, the turn signal lens, (and I'm assuming the red lens for the brake and tail lamps) just "pop" out. Apparetly the previous owner used RTV to keep the turn signal lens in place.

Question is, does anyone know who made this light bar? I'd like to find more info about how it is mounted and how lamps are changed.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

My '91 VR came with an aftermarket light bar on the trunk. It has amber turn signals on the corners, "tail lights", just inboard, and the center section is a brake light.

One of the turn signals burned out, and I thought I could get to the lamps by removing 3 screws from inside the trunk... Yeah, right. As it turns out, the turn signal lens, (and I'm assuming the red lens for the brake and tail lamps) just "pop" out. Apparetly the previous owner used RTV to keep the turn signal lens in place.

Question is, does anyone know who made this light bar? I'd like to find more info about how it is mounted and how lamps are changed.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I have one on mine which I haven't wired yet. The bulbs are push-ins.

Mine was glued in too and I used a craft knife between the lens and the housing to separate them ... It took a while, but came out in the end.

I am missing the left side amber cover, unfortunately. The light bar itself is an excellent idea ... mine is an "86

Your wish, is my command:

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i418/twigg2324/1986%20Yamaha%20Venture%20Royale/IMG_0529.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i418/twigg2324/1986%20Yamaha%20Venture%20Royale/IMG_0528.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i418/twigg2324/1986%20Yamaha%20Venture%20Royale/IMG_0530.jpg

I'm thinking of swapping those nasty bulbs for LEDs ... But I'm struggling with the missing plastic bit.

I've never seen a Yamaha Original reflector that fits there .... It has amber corners too doesn't it?

It would probably be fairly easy to open one up and retro-fit the lights.

I may just have one of those reflectors around here somewhere. I did swap one out several years ago and I'm thinking maybe the original reflector is still here.

As for the lights, I'm not sure who made them but I bought mine from JC Whitney but they are no longer available. By the way they are sealed units from the factory.

BOO

I may just have one of those reflectors around here somewhere. I did swap one out several years ago and I'm thinking maybe the original reflector is still here.

As for the lights, I'm not sure who made them but I bought mine from JC Whitney but they are no longer available. By the way they are sealed units from the factory.

BOO

If you have the amber left hand bit, I would be eternally grateful

:)

These were made by BigBikeParts... out of production and discontinued but they still had some lenses a few months ago.

And, from the factiry, the lenses are hotglued in, so a low temp hair drier or CAREFUL use of a heat gun will slowly bring

the lens and holder up to temp. It's easiest to ease the big red lens out from one end, then work on the yellow ones. If in doubt about the heat, use less and longer... the holder is plastic too and softer than the lenses. Take care!

BigBikeParts Replacement Lens|

900100L center red $8.06

900100LL left amber $4.46

900100LR right amber $4.46

Since they are side mounted lamp mounts, superbrightleds.com has some dandy replacement bulbs... remember to use red LEDs behind the red lens... any guesses where the amber ones would go? You want the side emitting variants... if in doubt, cll them... super folks to deal with.

http://www.bergall.org/temp/venture/bigbike5.jpg

Edited by mbrood

I just ordered spare lenses from Big Bike Parts. I have a spare complete unit with a small crack in the red lens. So I ordered 3 red, and 2 each of the amber. This gives me a complete unit and spare lenses for each one. Gotta be a bit of a packrat with these first gens. Now to find spare tupperware.

JB

• 2 weeks later...
I just ordered spare lenses from Big Bike Parts. I have a spare complete unit with a small crack in the red lens. So I ordered 3 red, and 2 each of the amber. This gives me a complete unit and spare lenses for each one. Gotta be a bit of a packrat with these first gens. Now to find spare tupperware.

JB

I just went to the site and cannot find replacement lenses. The left lens fell out on the ride to have a Voyager kit put on.

Can you send me a link?

Thanks...

Y'All Ride Safe...

I just went to the site and cannot find replacement lenses. The left lens fell out on the ride to have a Voyager kit put on.

Can you send me a link?

Thanks...

Y'All Ride Safe...

They are not on the website.

Call the store, give the girl the part # and your money, and they will be sent out.

I just received some too.