IGNORED

Oregan coastline trip

kj1961

Heard about the dunes,a deffinate,right on Mike,We're leaving here may 21st rolling thru Seattle bout 24 or 25,hoping for good weather along the coastline not sure if thats a bad time of year or not,only time I can get away.

Heard about the dunes,a deffinate,right on Mike,We're leaving here may 21st rolling thru Seattle bout 24 or 25,hoping for good weather along the coastline not sure if thats a bad time of year or not,only time I can get away.

Nina & I rode that coast in mid August (3 or 4 years ago) and it was crappy weather most of the time. I've personally done the Oregon coast (101) 4 times and only once did I have nice weather ... but, I never did it in May so you might hit it right.

I made a similar run last July (Followed US 101 most of the way). Vancouver down to Sacramento, mostly coastline. A few comments that I have:

1) There was an absolute TON of traffic (for what it is worth, it was a Thursday)

2) Average moving speed was really quite slow which was a bit disappointing although I was on a bit of a time table to get home and tried to pack too much into the couple days I had to get home.

3) I was absolutely astonished at how much the weather varied. As can be seen in my pictures, it went from 90+ and sunny to cloudy, damp, uncomfortable and ~40 degrees in a matter of 15 minutes or so. I turned inland for a while to warm up and stay dry and the temps were back up with clear skies again.

4) The riding was absolutely BEAUTIFUL and I would love to do it again. My preference would be to find some time that would be much less populated than it was and now that I know what kind of pace to expect, I would plan to make it more of a leisurely trip than what I had done.

5) I thought that Washington was not nearly as pretty as Oregon but if I were to do it again, I would still ride through Oregon (Unless I was up against some time constraints).

As far as things to see, "crater lake" would be worth a visit if you have the time

I don't know how helpful this is but feel free to ask if you think I can be of more help. Have a great trip!! :Venture:

Just a couple of suggestion

You might look into swinging by Alki Beach as you go past Seattle. From Alki Beach you can look over Elliot Bay and see the Seattle Skyline. Here is an evening picture. It be a nice backgound picture of you, your wife and bike. Just be warn of traffic during rush hour.

http://www.terragalleria.com/images/us-nw/uswa6085.small.jpeg

Then there are the Twin Tacoma Narrows Bridge on hwy 16. A tole on the way back.

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=677262131565&id=0cf900f4c61b5254567156ba92b5aaa5

Rush hour traffic warning also.

Guest scarylarry

Only advise I can give is don't stop at them little coffee booths on the road, if you do don't eat what you think is a peanut M&M.

I was out there for 2 weeks everybody wanted coffee, and I thought it was M&M and odd at that, nope it was a chocolate cover coffee bean, everyone was kind enough to give me theirs too....I ate 4 of them and drank a large coffee thought my heart was going to explode...

You will enjoy the ride we did but we started in Portland Or. then over to like Tahoe..