IGNORED

Mapping Program

TearlessTom

Okay I know this exist but can't seem to find it. My better half and I are taking two long trips this year. Both are approx 2000 miles each way. We plan to break it up into 3 days then 2 weeks of riding the 3 days back and 1 to recoup before going back to work.

Not that any of that has anything to do with my question but I am getting very excited about the trips.

My question is this:

I have a Garmin (older one) 2730, and a Nuvi.

Is there a program that besides gives routing but will accept input as to how far to space fuel stops and suggest stations around that area.

IE I will want to refuel every 225 - 250 miles. (I have a 27 gallon tank but only get about 11-12 mpg when towing the bikes. (sucks) So my range is a bit over 300 miles per tank but don't want to push it.I can find the info with Mapquest but it is a real pain.

Is there a better way?

Edited by TearlessTom

I have two programs loaded on my laptop. One program is DeLorme Street Atlas with GPS antenna which i paid around $100.00 4 years ago (I have since updated the program to newer version). I connect the GPS antenna to the laptop to follow my route while in a cage like a GPS. Prior to my trip, I enter my estimated gas mileage to scheduled fuel stops and lodging. At each check point, I can search for numerous POI's. This program is voice activated. I can ask simple questions and get a reasonable response or tell it to SHUT UP! For the most part, it listens to me better than the wife. The other program is Map Source which came with my Zumo. Either program I can plan my trips and look ahead for possible stops/gas/lodging locations at predetermine mileage intervals and load them into my Zumo. I'm not familiar what you can get loaded onto a Nuvi as I do not have one.

BEER30

The easiest I have found to do what you are asking is Microsoft Streets and Trips. About $50.

You can apply trip options to your routing including Fuel Consumption. You input your City and Highway MPGs, tank capcity, and check a box. It will include refuel points in your driving directions.

RR

Beer thats :sign kewl: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Delorme-Earthmate-LT-40-Street-Atlas/dp/B004GF1G44]Amazon.com: Delorme Earthmate GPS LT-40 with Street Atlas USA 2011: Software@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41m03j39TAL.@@AMEPARAM@@41m03j39TAL[/ame]

I see they came down in price since I last purchased. Regardless, it has already paid for itself. Only issue I worried about was the state law. Having a device that could be distract the driver that plays media.

I had one of them mounts like the Police have to support the laptop. If I saw the law-man. I simply closed the laptop or adjust the brightness of the screen.

BEER30

The other program is Map Source which came with my Zumo. Either program I can plan my trips and look ahead for possible stops/gas/lodging locations at predetermine mileage intervals and load them into my Zumo.

BEER30

I have MapSource, How do you do this.

The only way I have been able to figure out is to use the measuring icon and measure out the distance along the route then look for fuel in the area.

I also see that Streets and Trips 2010 and I assume 2011 will do what I want. and can now be imported by gpx.

I normally go to Mapquest.com and build a route with the hotels I want to stay at each night

I then make new trips for each day where I add points for meals, then add gas stops, if I am unable to get fuel next door to the restaurants....

I load them as trips into my Garmin 765t so I can pull them up by day/date to keep things clean.

the trips are on Mapquest so i can send a URL to my ride buddies so they can either print a paper copy or they can load the same trips into their GPS units so we all can get there......

+1 for Harley Ride Planner, its free, its online and it works with most gps's. It lists gas, hotels etc. Plus you can post to a webpage and email it to your relatives so they know where you might be if they need you.

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.com/rideplanner/ridePlanner.jsp

I am not seening gas locations or is there anyway to measure the distance you have traveled.?

That sucks, It looks like gas locations have been removed, it used to show shell stations. The distance and ride times show up on the left as you look at your planned ride and plan it, but it doesnt seem to show on each leg unless youre actually planning and saving when youre logged in.

Here is a route I posted just click on the map and view. http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.com/rideplanner/share/378896

Brian

Edited by friesman