has anyone replaced a clutch on a Venture around the year 2002, how hard is it?

I have 53,000 miles on my bike and now the clutch has started slipping when i hammer down on it in fifth gear, the hotter it is the more the slip!

You can get a HD upgrade kit from skydoc_17 here on the site. If you're not a "wrencher", read the instuctions and talk to skydoc.... he will help you through the process and if that fails, heck, I've heard rumors that he'll even send his wife to assist! LOL

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=2905&title=second-genheavy-duty-clutch-spring26amp-3b-full-disc-upgrade-kit-21&cat=22

I think i might have to change it out, it started when i was 1/2 thru the blue ridge parkway, and i had to drive all the way back over the dragon, with the old lady, and gear packed on the bike!
You will now better once you get it apart. Look closely at the friction discs as they are what will wear out. Get the HD upgrade kit as it contains a new friction disc to compare with. If the other discs (the steel ones) are blued, you can clean them up with emery paper. Take care how you dissasemble things so it all goes back together the same way and pay particular attention to lining up the notches in the friction discs with the notches on the clutch hub and, as well, line up the dot on the pressure plate with the one on the hub when you put it all back together.

There's lots of help here so don't hesitate to ask, even if it's a "dumb question" ... there's many of us who are qualified to give answers to those... LOL (there's no dumb questions, only dumb answers)

You will now better once you get it apart. Look closely at the friction discs as they are what will wear out. Get the HD upgrade kit as it contains a new friction disc to compare with. If the other discs (the steel ones) are blued, you can clean them up with emery paper. Take care how you dissasemble things so it all goes back together the same way and pay particular attention to lining up the notches in the friction discs with the notches on the clutch hub and, as well, line up the dot on the pressure plate with the one on the hub when you put it all back together.

There's lots of help here so don't hesitate to ask, even if it's a "dumb question" ... there's many of us who are qualified to give answers to those... LOL (there's no dumb questions, only dumb answers)

it's been a long time since I have gone this kind of work!

my income has been greatly reduced, the last bike clutch i have done was on a 305 scrambler!

it's been a long time since I have gone this kind of work!

my income has been greatly reduced, the last bike clutch i have done was on a 305 scrambler!

It's a pretty easy job ... if you've done one, you can do another... just take your time.

My personal preference is with the Barnett clutch set-up along with new carbon fiber discs. Had mine in the bike since 2004 and had no issues with it at all.

My personal preference is with the Barnett clutch set-up along with new carbon fiber discs. Had mine in the bike since 2004 and had no issues with it at all.

I had the PCW spring but then later switched to the Barnett spring as the PCW left your clutch lever travel a little too far out (smaller friction zone)..

I never could find those carbon fiber discs.. do you have a part number / location to order them?

Do they make enough of a difference to warrant the costs?

Thanks in advance.. Cheers

I had the PCW spring but then later switched to the Barnett spring as the PCW left your clutch lever travel a little too far out (smaller friction zone)..

I never could find those carbon fiber discs.. do you have a part number / location to order them? Im not even sure they make them anymore.

I looked for them on their website but all I seen were Kevlar discs. Maybe they were Kevlar and im referring to them as carbon fiber. But im pretty sure they were carbon fiber. Its been sooo long.....

Do they make enough of a difference to warrant the costs?

Never having tried the PCW kit I couldnt tell you about any differences. At the time of my installation I never even heard of a PCW kit but what the Barnett set-up is is a true conversion, not a spring upgrade. To me it was worth the money. Barnett has a strong quality reputation and I dont mind shelling out some extra money for a top notch product.

Thanks in advance.. Cheers

http://www.barnettclutches.com/products/clutch_plates_springs.aspx?type=clutches_other&clutch_make=Yamaha&clutch_cc=1300

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/default.asp

Phat performance is another good source

The change out the clutch spring will take about 30 minutes - if you need to spend 15 minutes of that time cleaning the old gasket off. You don't even need to drain the oil. Just put it on the side stand, pop the cover off, remove the clutch plate bolts, remove the old clutch spring and replace with new clutch spring, reassemble with new gasket, ride.

RR

Doing the clutch is probably one of the easiest major maintenence jobs you can do on a Venture. No difference other than the springs from 83-present. We did Rich99's a few years ago.. my first 2ndGen.. and it was still a piece of cake. You don't even need to take the bike off the side stand, or drain the oil. Buy a set of disc's from one of the part's suppliers. Rick at Buckeye Performance is very helpfull on what you'll need, and have at it.