IGNORED

Rear Shock question and update

pick

Hey all, its been awhile since I last posted,probably since the last Meet and Eat in Rome with Eck and Blackjack. Lifes beens nuts here, but anyways, I am pretty sure I have blown my rear shock. I have noticed oil under it and it seems my ride has deteriated to the point that I bottom out on most any bump and sometimes the bike feels a little squirrley in a curve, kinda like a cocker spaniel wagging its tail! lol anyways, I found an OEM for about 550 but I really wanna make sure that I ain't replacing it for nuthin! I have heard that I should not bottom out the shock and I know we've been packing a few more pounds, but it does bottom out a lot,and it seems to float a bit? I plan on a rear tire as well if I can find a venom on sale, hoping to hit the Keys in a few weeks so I have my hands full!

Hope all is well with all and we'll meet up again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our rear shock died last summer on trip to AZ. It bottomed out more and more and the bike would act like the back end was on a pogo stick on some turns. The darn thing even dumped all the air a time or two, but it always held when we refilled it.

Our bike was still under warranty so Yamaha put on a new shock for us. I think we'll pony up the bucks for a "Works" shock when this shock goes out.

Well, I hate to say it but your description is clearly resonant with that of a bad shock. To make sure, something that you can do is get under your bike and really look at it to verify that the oil is coming from your shock.

If it helps at all, I have attached a picture of my shock after it has been taken out of my bike. Unfortunately (if I recall correctly) I have wiped most of the oil off before taking the pictures (mostly as part of the removal process).

For what it is worth, if $550 is the cheapest you can find a Yamahaha shock for, I wouldn't waste your money on that; go with the Works (despite my less than satisfactory experience with customer service) for a little more knowing you'll not have to replace it again. I do believe that during my search for a new shock I found an OEM shock on partshark for ~$430. Remember that the 99-2011 RSVs are all the same with exception to some minor changes. One minor change was the addition of the vent hose on the rear shock done in 2004 (I believe). For example this 2009 rear shock assembly: http://www.partshark.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=1345192&category=Motorcycles&make=YAMAHA&year=2010&fveh=37804

:080402gudl_prv:

EDIT: oops, I cannot seem to find the others that I had before I removed it from my bike. I will post those if I find them.

Well, mine wasn't that wet, just dry and crusty. But I think its been dry for awhile. Anyways, old shock came right out and new one slipped right in. Didn't have a jackstand so i used two ratchet straps and attached one to each leg of the swingarm and then to the passenger armrest and used that to take the tension off the shock.

Question:, my old shock did not have a vent tube and the replacement did? I ran it up along the air fill tube and a self stick clamp was included I assume to attach the rear fender, but???????? Looks kinda hokey? Where has everyone run the tube?

Well, mine wasn't that wet, just dry and crusty. But I think its been dry for awhile. Anyways, old shock came right out and new one slipped right in. Didn't have a jackstand so i used two ratchet straps and attached one to each leg of the swingarm and then to the passenger armrest and used that to take the tension off the shock.

Question:, my old shock did not have a vent tube and the replacement did? I ran it up along the air fill tube and a self stick clamp was included I assume to attach the rear fender, but???????? Looks kinda hokey? Where has everyone run the tube?

Wish I had a pic for you, but the vent tube runs up along side the battery on the right side as you sit on the bike.

Ok, thanks, then it should go in front of the seat pan? Kewl, hope you and the misses are oki doki.. long time, no see. maybe we'll all get together soon!

Chris

Would be great seeing you, it has been awhile.

Also, that tube actually runs along right side of the battery, does not go through the fender