IGNORED

1st gen 2nd gear problem?

Looking for another bike. I like the idea of the V4 over the Goldwing or Voyager. Are all 1st gen Ventures prone to the 2nd gear problem or just some? If just a few years, what years should I stay away from? Any other problem areas I should check when looking at one? Thanks , Mike

Looking for another bike. I like the idea of the V4 over the Goldwing or Voyager. Are all 1st gen Ventures prone to the 2nd gear problem or just some? If just a few years, what years should I stay away from? Any other problem areas I should check when looking at one? Thanks , Mike

83 and 84 is where most problems occurred. This was caused by a thrust washer in the transmission not being properly hardened. By 85 the bike became very dependable. The early bikes had a problem with 2nd as you mentioned and some also had a problem with the frame rusting and cracking. The carbs and CDI were slightly changed in 84. I have an 83 and have not had any problems that the early years are known for.

Dick

Thanks. I'll keep my eyes open for a 86+ . I havent made up my mind what I want for sure but I've seen the Ventures listed every now and then on Craiglist for good prices. May have the $$ saved for one in another month or two. Thanks again and ride safe.

mike , check out our "classifieds", section. couple of really nice 1st gens, there.

just jt

Yes there are. I found a couple on Craiglist within 150 miles but they are probably gone or will be by the time I get the $$. Like this one...http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/467978045.html