IGNORED

New wing???

Not sure if this is the place to post this but what the hell!

My brothers friend is ready to put his wing on the market and has said he will sell it to me for $8000

It is a GL1500 1998 with 10,000 miles. It has been garage kept and is immaculate. Not a lot of upgrades but it has a backrest and chrome brake covers etc.

Is this a decent price in anyones opinion. I have been looking for a while, just not real hard.

It is fuel injected and has new tires.

I can try and post some pictures.

I'm not aware that any GL1500 was fuel injected. AFAIK fuel injection began with the 2001 GL1800.

You can find 2002 GL's with about 20,000 miles for less than $10,000 so I'd say that a 1998 GL1500 is overpriced at $8000.....

That being said, there definitely is something to be said for knowing a bike's history. If you know how it was maintained and that gives you a certain comfort level, then the premium price may be worth it.

I'd sure check on that fuel injection claim. My bet is that if you remove the shelter you'll see 2 carbs down there.

Good luck!

You may well be right. I thought I read somewhere that the 98's were fuel injected? It's been a busy couple of weeks so I may have dreamt it?

I had a 98SE and it was not fuel injected. They did not come out till the 2001 model.

Joe :080402gudl_prv:,( Not to bad of price very low miles and to mention you got another 100+ thousand miles to go.)

You didn't say whether it is an SE or an Aspencade. KBB shows retail on the better model (Special Edition) in retail condition (average mileage with no mechanical or cosmetic issues) to be $6995 and $6665 for the Aspencade.

The low mileage is a plus, but I don't think it's worth $1000. It also means the bike spent a lot of time just sitting. That can mean atrophy from dry rot (even if it's sitting in a garage). You should also bear in mind that this is a weakened economy. Things are not bringing top dollar and therefor is a buyers market.

There's 3 Wings for sale on eBay (97, 98, 99 all with more miles than this'n) and the sellers have posted ~$8000 buy it now prices...but, no one is biting. If you look at completed auctions, you'll see some going for as little as $6000 up to $9500.

I'm not trying to poopoo the bike. I'm the sort that is willing to pay more for a used vehicle if it is a cream puff. (You should see my '83 Venture Royale!) But my Wing is my ride of choice. It was also a cream puff AND it had lot of upgrades and add-ons that made it worth well more than book price.

Tip: If you really wanna pay $7000 for this bike, offer him $6000 and then bargain up to $7000.

I think Honda tried fuel injection in '86 on the wing but it didn't work well so they went back to carbs until they came out with the 1800 in 2001.

It was the 1985 LTD

It was only available for one year. While it wasn't without issues, mostly they have been resolved and there are still a lot of them happily cruising highways.

You didn't say whether it is an SE or an Aspencade. KBB shows retail on the better model (Special Edition) in retail condition (average mileage with no mechanical or cosmetic issues) to be $6995 and $6665 for the Aspencade.

The low mileage is a plus, but I don't think it's worth $1000. It also means the bike spent a lot of time just sitting. That can mean atrophy from dry rot (even if it's sitting in a garage). You should also bear in mind that this is a weakened economy. Things are not bringing top dollar and therefor is a buyers market.

There's 3 Wings for sale on eBay (97, 98, 99 all with more miles than this'n) and the sellers have posted ~$8000 buy it now prices...but, no one is biting. If you look at completed auctions, you'll see some going for as little as $6000 up to $9500.

I'm not trying to poopoo the bike. I'm the sort that is willing to pay more for a used vehicle if it is a cream puff. (You should see my '83 Venture Royale!) But my Wing is my ride of choice. It was also a cream puff AND it had lot of upgrades and add-ons that made it worth well more than book price.

Tip: If you really wanna pay $7000 for this bike, offer him $6000 and then bargain up to $7000.

Good advice, Thanks. I am blowing a little cold on this...economy, age, cost etc. etc.

My Venture is running well and I think I may re-look at a wing at a later date. I may call and tell hime I'm laying off to see what he has to say? Never know?