IGNORED

Neutral Light, interesting

Started when I switched dash lights out with LEDs. Suspect issue always there, but unseen with incandescent dash bulbs.

I noticed every time I shifted up or down, any gear, neutral light would illuminate for just a fraction of a second. I was at first thinking mechanical, (play in shift shaft against neutral switch) as it seemed to happen just as clutch was re-engaging.

Then I remembered that there was a clutch lever switch in the neutral cutout starting circuit. After playing with clutch lever some more, I believe the issue is in this electrical circuit. Does not matter if I shift or not, nor how much I may feather the clutch, always lights at same point just before clutch lever at full release (suspect point for lever switch). Also always just a fraction of a second flash, even if I play aroung the spot of the lever switch, I can not get neutral to stay lit for any more than a flash, unless in neutral of course.

Not sure what exactly is happening in the circuit, but as I found out with the RLU dash light, the new LED bulbs will illuminate full bright with less than 2volts stray voltage.

Not calling it a problem, and not likely worth time to figure out and correct/bypass/mod..etc. Just interesting fluke from using LEDs.

This is just going to be a wild shot in the dark as to what is happening.

Looking at the simplified schematic that includes the neutral light, it could be that a coil field collapsing might be putting a pulse on the neutral light just long enough to get it to pulse.

Side stand switch is closed, there is negative on the L/Y wire to clutch switch, coil of starting circuit relay energizes. When clutch is released, coil field collapses, putting a pulse on the Sb wire that goes to the Neutral light and makes it pulse.

Its late, this may horse hockey, but it seems possible. Would not have noticed it with regular bulbs, due to filament taking longer to glow than an LED takes to fire.

Gary

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/neutrallight1.jpg

Since I recently switched (some) dash bulbs to LEDs I have also noticed that on the 1-2 upshift I get the same momentary poof of light from the neutral indicator. I simply attributed it to the gear position switch passing through the neutral position enroute to 2nd gear though. As previously alluded to; the delay in incandescent filament powerup vs. instant on/off of LED seems to be the difference in whether you outdated old skool folks see it or not. :stickpoke:

I'm disappointed that my attempted blue LED backlighting conquest didn't pan out.