IGNORED

MPH loss on slight grade

I'm under warranty so no worries. Anyhow when I am going up a slight grade with the cruise on it seems to drop excessively, like say 6-8 mph. Of course when it does this the cruise kicks out and my RES light illuminates. Now then it also has a slight "slobber" at idle and smells a little rich. Its a 09 with 3,200 miles. Thinking hit a tank with sea foam first before trip to dealer??? It has the power no problem, but I seem to have to "twist" it up pretty hard on a grade.

Also OD or fifth gear seems a little too high at 65 mph. Almost feels like OD would be on the flat or speeds over 75. Is this some of my bogging down problem :confused24:

Well, it is hard to say just based on that info, but what you describe is absolutely not typical of this bike. Sounds an awful lot like you are only running on three cylinders. What is your top speed? Three will generally flag out around 85 MPH, but if you can get it up to 100 MPH, you are running on all four.

Besides the speed test, you should do a quick fingertip/cold start test to see if all four headers get too hot to touch within 30 seconds or so.

Goose

Also, what speed & what gear are you in when you notice this.

5th at say 50 mph up a hill may start to slow a little.

Gary

5th at 65 on the speedometer 2 up. ALSO I filled up yesterday at a know good station I always use and grabbed 89 octane. I normally always use high grade in bikes, but out of habbit from the winter I just grabbed regular unleaded.

Well, it is hard to say just based on that info, but what you describe is absolutely not typical of this bike. Sounds an awful lot like you are only running on three cylinders. What is your top speed? Three will generally flag out around 85 MPH, but if you can get it up to 100 MPH, you are running on all four.

Besides the speed test, you should do a quick fingertip/cold start test to see if all four headers get too hot to touch within 30 seconds or so.

Goose

Ill go check that now...........the cold start up that is. It has no problem getting to 80 really quick, but have not bee any faster then that, really dont want to to be honest.

OK just went at fired it up cold. The LEFT REAR cylinder is warming, but not like the other three. I could not touch the other three, but could hold my hand on the left rear no problem. Could not hardly touch the other three. It has a da da da da idle and tach runs all over at idle. Once off idle it seems to smooth out really nice.

Edited by royalstar09

The words we choose do not always mean the same to someone else as they do to us. I am particularly keying in on your statement "slight grade".

For comparison, my RSV with close to 100,000 miles will pull a "moderate" grade on cruise, in 5th at 65 MPH, 2-up and fully loaded, with absolutely no problem at all.

The only thing that throws my cruise for a loop is a roller coaster road where it is desperately trying to slow the bike down on the down slope from one hill and then finds itself unable to react fast enough on the next up-slope before the speed drops 5 MPH below the set point.

Goose

Ill go check that now...........the cold start up that is. It has no problem getting to 80 really quick, but have not bee any faster then that, really dont want to to be honest.

OK just went at fired it up cold. The LEFT REAR cylinder is warming, but not like the other three. I could not touch the other three, but could hold my hand on the left rear no problem. Could not hardly touch the other three. It has a da da da da idle and tach runs all over at idle. Once off idle it seems to smooth out really nice.

Yup, you got a three cylinder bike. Couple of things that could be causing it, but since you are under warranty, make them fix it.

Goose

Yup, you got a three cylinder bike. Couple of things that could be causing it, but since you are under warranty, make them fix it.

Goose

I dont know if I want all 4 working untill I learn to handle it better :rotf: :rotf:

Ill call dealership in the AM. Id rather let them fix it, but from this post I at least can offer them some input in that I have one cylinder down, and which one it is. Bike ran perfect yesterday, this issue today............ooh well could be worse.

Yep, it sounds like you're running on 3 cylinders. It could be a lot of different things. If you decide to figure it out for yourself, I'd look at the fuel first. You may have gotten some gas from a tank that had just been filled and a lot of the sludge in the underground tank may have gotten stirred up just in time for you to come along and get the goop in your tank. Drain the bowls of the carbs and see what comes out.

Thought I would post an update. I went and bought some seafoam and added it at a ratio of 1 oz per gal. Wife and I took off today, and 100+ miles later we returned home. Bike is 100% again. Cruise is perfec. No slobbering idle. Power is fantastic. We had such a wonderfull ride. Thought my wife took a nap there a few times :whistling: .

Anyway thanks for the replies. I do still have an appointment for 2 weeks out for a check up though just in case it decides to mess up again.

royalstar09 ... I haven't read all your posts but it seems to me you said a little while back that you were selling your scoot .... what's up??

I WAS but do not have to now. The ad was removed and we are enjoying to Venture more then ever now. Sometimes to really ppreciate something you have to loose, or nearly loose it. I was going to get rid of it for the obvious $$$ reasons, but now to a very unexpected turn of events we do not have to get rid of it...... I have a different appreciation of the bike now. :cool10:

I WAS but do not have to now. The ad was removed and we are enjoying to Venture more then ever now. Sometimes to really ppreciate something you have to loose, or nearly loose it. I was going to get rid of it for the obvious $$$ reasons, but now to a very unexpected turn of events we do not have to get rid of it...... I have a different appreciation of the bike now. :cool10:

AWESOME!!! ya had me wonderin there.