IGNORED

LED's on the trailer

Condor

This may have been discussed before, so sorry for the redundency if it has. But.... if I add LED replacements for the 1157 and 1156 bulbs on the trailer, will I have a problem with the turn signal breaker working properly?? Do they make a HD breaker like they use on tow vehicles when hauling a trailer....?? Otherwise they blink way to fast...

This may have been discussed before, so sorry for the redundency if it has. But.... if I add LED replacements for the 1157 and 1156 bulbs on the trailer, will I have a problem with the turn signal breaker working properly?? Do they make a HD breaker like they use on tow vehicles when hauling a trailer....?? Otherwise they blink way to fast...

If you are adding lights to the stock flasher, it should be fine.

The problems start when you either overload the flasher with extra lights, and LEDs won't do this, or you replace stock lights with LEDs ... a thermal flasher may not flash them, but a cheap electronic replacement will.

You only need a "trailer flasher" if you are using incandescent lights on the trailer AND/OR you want a repeater on the dash, or a buzzer that indicates that the trailer lights are working. Those units have a 5th terminal for that purpose.

Guest tx2sturgis

Assuming that the bike's flashers blink at the correct rate without the trailer hooked up, then adding replacement LEDs to a trailer will cause no change in the flash rate. You should be good to go.

:happy34:

I haven't seen any "good" replacement LED bulbs for 1156 or 1157. They'll light up, but Ive never seen one that would light up the housing properly. It's always just a bright dot the size of a quarter in the middle of the housing.

I haven't seen any "good" replacement LED bulbs for 1156 or 1157. They'll light up, but Ive never seen one that would light up the housing properly. It's always just a bright dot the size of a quarter in the middle of the housing.

These are just fine, I got them from Motorcyclesuperstore, but Superbrightleds.com have good ones too:

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i418/twigg2324/IBA%20Saddle%20Sore%201000/IMG_0416.jpg

Rememeber that the flash is working against the true brightness, and from the lower angle that a van or car driver sits they are even brighter.

You won't miss those six lights when I brake!

My wife followed me to the gas station, in the car, and she was impressed by just how visible I was.

These are just fine, I got them from Motorcyclesuperstore, but Superbrightleds.com have good ones too:

Rememeber that the flash is working against the true brightness, and from the lower angle that a van or car driver sits they are even brighter.

You won't miss those six lights when I brake!

My wife followed me to the gas station, in the car, and she was impressed by just how visible I was.

What size LED's did you buy?? I just checked Superbright and they have bulbs from 9 Led's to 30. I want to be bright, but I don't want to vaporize the guy behind me... :)

What size LED's did you buy?? I just checked Superbright and they have bulbs from 9 Led's to 30. I want to be bright, but I don't want to vaporize the guy behind me... :)

The ones I have are dual brightness. Some stay on for tail lights, others come on for brakes.

From that site I'd pick these:

1156-x24: 24-LED BA15S Bulb

They have 18 pointing straight back, and 6 radial. They are dual intensity and $7.49 each, which seems reasonable. Buy the RED color.

While you are placing an order, and facing the shipping, you might also upgrade all your panel lights. That's gonna save you a lot of current draw, those little suckers pull 3.4W each.

You need the Ba9 Base, and pick a color that matches the lens. Amber for indicatore repeaters, green for neutral, white for speedo, etc.

They run about $0.75 to $1.50 each.

The ones I have are dual brightness. Some stay on for tail lights, others come on for brakes.

From that site I'd pick these:

1156-x24: 24-LED BA15S Bulb

They have 18 pointing straight back, and 6 radial. They are dual intensity and $7.49 each, which seems reasonable. Buy the RED color.

While you are placing an order, and facing the shipping, you might also upgrade all your panel lights. That's gonna save you a lot of current draw, those little suckers pull 3.4W each.

You need the Ba9 Base, and pick a color that matches the lens. Amber for indicatore repeaters, green for neutral, white for speedo, etc.

They run about $0.75 to $1.50 each.

Here we go again...:mo money: :sign20: Thanks again for the info.

This is what I did to my RSV. I went to this web site and bought a modular http://accessories.etrailer.com/search?w=modulite+wiring+kit&asug=modulite This helped a lot. Make sure that if you do that you get the one for LED lights. You wont have any trouble with you LED's working the way they should. My LED's work just fine. It's not hard to install.

Ken

Just so you know what you are getting into. Check the brightness of the LEDs in the bright sunlight, almost any light will light up well enough at night, but what happens in bright sunlight is more important, and that's where I found LEDs to fail. Now that's about 2 years ago, so things have changed, but we ride more in bright sunlight than in the dark of night, so when you go to test the brightness for satisfaction, let the sun shine directly on the tail light for your decision.

Mine are fine in sunlight. They may not be as bright as incandescent, but it's hard to tell because the way the light projects is different. They certainly are clearly visible from behind.

The early LEDs had a rep. for not being very bright. They have improved a lot.