IGNORED

Tires and springs and fork braces, OH MY!

Over the last two days, I decided to jump in to the "project" before the pretty weather arrived so a few thoughts to share.....

Dunlop Elite 3 tires from SportTour in Cincinnati for $117 and $119 seems to be a pretty decent price. They also have a nice website with lots of good things at rather decent prices. No real problems changing then at all and the rear needed no weight to balance at all.

While I was in to it, and since I had the Super Brace and some new Progressive for springs, it was only logical to do that at the same time, so I jumped in.

The archives on this website were absolutely critical in being able to complete this task with little to no difficulties. To all those who have shared their experiences, I offer a humble and heartfelt "Thank You"

Here are a couple of things I learned while doing this project.......

- a 5/16 hitch pin clip works just fine in the rear axle nut( had one in the parts drawer)

- AutoZone has a set of hex bits in 12, 14, and 17 mm for $9.95 that will be a great addition to anyones tool box. They are 1/2 inch drive and the 17 is perfect for the forks. Anti seize on the threads helps them go back in very nicely.

- on the recommendation of a racer friend, I used Mobll 1 full synthetic in the forks. We'll have to see how that works out.

- a 3/8 inch impact works nicely for helping remove all kinds of bolts and nuts that have never been touched. The hammering action helps break up corrosion on threads without the fear of breaking things. It doesn't take a high setting at all to move things.

After I got everything back together, I just had to go out for a bit to scrub then new tires in a bit. Even with being quite cautious to no get too excited with the new tires, I was astounded with the difference in the feel of the bike. The little voice in the back of my head kept saying "where are those guys on the Ninjas?" but I did my level best to ignore him.

Weather or not, I am riding this fabulous machine a bunch this year, starting tomorrow.....

Last year I did the springs. seals and bushing to my bike also. I also used Mobll 1 and everything worked out fine.

Maybe we can meet for breakfast sometime since I live in Sardinia and am not that far away.