IGNORED

Oil loss during clutch replacement?

Are you replacing all the discs or just the spring? If you're doing just the spring, you will should only have a minimal loss of oil if the bike is on the sidestand. If you're replacing the discs, you'll probably lose about a half a quart.

I believe most folks take about an hour or two to replace the clutch spring their first time. More experiences members can swap one out much quicker.

Put a 2x4 under the rear Wheel and place the Bike on the Side Stand.

Most likely no Oil Loss at all.

Time Frame depends on how you're wrenching, i use a cordless Drill for most of the Bolts, so it's fast ... Normal Time Frame when using normal Tools is just shy of 30 Minutes. Scraping the old Gasket off the Block amd the Cover takes up to another 45 Minutes.

I am replacing the entire kit. I will do it with the bike on the stand I bought on this site.

- though it just occurred to me, Since the kick stand is down when up in the air, will it be in the way?

And, if there is little oil loss when the bike is on the kickstand, there shouldn't be any loss when the bike is standing straight up. Right?

You need to do it on the side stand or you will suffer a lot of oil loss. The reason for doing it that way is that all the oil goes over to the left side of the case away from your open clutch cover. That is, unless you drain the oil first. Your choice!!

Dano

I'm embarrassed to say I thought it was on the left side.

Admittedly, I haven't done this in 30 years, but I could've sworn it was on the same side as the sprocket.

BTW, I will read the instructions from this site before starting. :)

Thanks for the replies.

Personally I would go ahead and change the oil anyway. Since you need to let the fiber discs sit in oil prior to assembly I would use the same fresh oil that you would use anyway. You didnt mention what kit you were using but no matter what....USE NEW BOLTS on the diaphragm, not the old ones. They WILL break......I know this!!