IGNORED

Adjusting floats - 08 RSV

BigBear

I believe v7goose has an excellent articule on how to adjust the floats on these carbs.

I tore all four completely apart. including diaphrams and sprayed with carb cleaner and blowed all orifices out with compressed air.

My floats were Way off!

If you have ever nuked your system with carb cleaner (Let them sit for a hour with just the cleaner), you may have to replace orings... no biggie they are very cheap...

the newer carb cleaners won't hurt the rubber orings...

there are orings on the (4)float bowl covers and (4)under the float valve seats

tip: two of the carbs won't allow you to remove float valve seats because of steel frame. l fixed problem by center punching and drilling a 3/16 hole thru frame. Make sure you put a piece of metal between carb and frame if you do this.

Otherwise its pretty easy to do and you'll have to sync your carbs when done...

Edited by CaptainJoe

captainjoe;

How long did the entire process take you (first timer, right??)

What were your symptoms that made you decide to check the floats? Did you MPG improve after adjustments were made?

Thanks for the feedback!

Walt

I probably had 8-10 hrs in it.... Wasn't trying for a speed record...

plus I had to order the 8 orings... so it was apart for a couple weeks.

the reason I tore her down was the carb bowls were leaking. i had used a now discountinued carb cleaner that destroyed my orings. My rpms were also hanging when i reved her. when you take the airbox off, twist the throttle and look thru top of carbs... they should return at same rate... mine didnt as they were dirty. if you remove and clean diaphrams it will fix this problem.

my gas milage now riding 70mph is about 42mpg

75-80 was it drops to about 38 mpg

do yourself a favor, if you have a digital camera, snap a few shots showing cable location etc. also measure and record the ends of throttle cables so its easy to put back together.

depending on your milage, you may want to replace fuel filter while you have her apart...

Edited by CaptainJoe

Thanks captainjoe!

Early last summer, I was getting 44 MPG easy...after the summer, my MPGs dropped to a consistent 38...new plugs, new air filters, validated carb synch was good.

Adjusting the carb floats seems like the next logical step...

Thanks for the advice!