IGNORED

Carbs/ carb parts 1200 VS 1300 ?

Lassesand

Main bodies and sliders are different.

1200 is 34mm, 1300 is 35mm.

Gary

Not trying to be difficult, but, the technical manuals say that all Gen 1 & Gen 2 Venture have 34mm carbs (listed as BDS 34mm). I have attached a comparison sheet that I did a while ago . . . Are the tech manuals wrong?

Edited by GaryZ

Not trying to be difficult, but, the technical manuals say that all Gen 1 & Gen 2 Venture have 34mm carbs (listed as BDS 34mm). I have attached a comparison sheet that I did a while ago . . . Are the tech manuals wrong?

As far as I have found, the Ventures went to a 35mm in 86. The VMaxs always were a 35mm.

Gary

As far as I have found, the Ventures went to a 35mm in 86. The VMaxs always were a 35mm.

Gary

The Vmax tech manual that I downloaded from Vmax Outlaws contradicts itself (34mm on one page and 35mm on another). All other "specifications" that I searched claimed 35mm.

The MKII Service Manual downloaded from this forum (copyright 1989) clearly says "BDS 34mm/Mikuni" on page 8-2 (pdf page 431). This web page lists the 1300 (1986 - 1993) with 34mm carbs; http://www.venturerider.org/history.htm

And, my 34mm 1200 carbs plugged right in the 1987 1300 engine that I bought. I would have thought if the 1300 carb boots were for 35mm carbs, my 34mm carbs would have been rather loose . . . They were not.

:confused07:

And, my 34mm 1200 carbs plugged right in the 1987 1300 engine that I bought. I would have thought if the 1300 carb boots were for 35mm carbs, my 34mm carbs would have been rather loose . . . They were not.

:confused07:

The narrowest part of the venturi profile is what determines the sizing.

I have a set of 34mm & a set of 35mm that I will measure when I get home.

The 35mm came off an 87 Venture.

Sort of similar to the engine displacement change, nothing external changed, just inside.

Gary

My '93 Venture has 34mm Carbs.

The '85 Vmax has had 34 mm Carbs also, but they changed them to 35mm on the '86 Model.

The Carb Bodies are all the same, so are the Connection Dimensions for the Air Horns/Air Box and to the Carb Boots.

Measurements from 1987 Venture carbs

Bottom I.D. of carb 1.375" (34.92mm)

Bottom O.D. of carb 1.651" (41.93mm)

Measurements from 1983 Venture carbs

Bottom I.D. of carb 1.335" (33.90mm)

Bottom O.D. of carb 1.648" (41.85mm)

1st picture is of 83 carb base, note straight O.D.

2nd picture is of 87 carb base, note chamfer on O.D.

I am looking at these two side by side and there is no difference that I can really see, other than chamfer.

Gary

I don't doubt your Findings Gary.

But who says these " '87 Carbs " are the Carbs which were on the Bike when it came from the Factory ?

I measured mine and they are definitely 34 mm on the bottom ID. So is a spare Set i aquired from Ebay about a Year ago.

My Vmax Carb-Sets both measure 35 mm in the same Spot.

I don't doubt your Findings Gary.

But who says these " '87 Carbs " are the Carbs which were on the Bike when it came from the Factory ?

I measured mine and they are definitely 34 mm on the bottom ID. So is a spare Set i aquired from Ebay about a Year ago.

My Vmax Carb-Sets both measure 35 mm in the same Spot.

You are correct Squeeze.

I have no idea of history with them.

What I am basing my position of the 34mm for the MKI's and 35mm for the MKII's & VMax's is also borne out by the slider part numbers.

The 83-85 use P/N 41R-14940-09-00 (replaces 41R-14940-00-00). In 1986 and through 1993 the p/n was 1FK-14940-09-00 (replaces 1FK-14940-00-00)

The Vmax used p/n 1FK-14940-09-00 (replaces 1FK-14940-00-00) from 1985 through at least 2007.

Since the carb slider (called the Diaphragm Assy in parts fiche) would follow the venturi size, I think my info is correct.

This is of course based on US models, not sure what was sold in Europe, but I seem to recall that the VMax was detuned for there.

Gary

Gary, i know. i know .... but i can't say I KNOW for a Fact ...

There's some Guessing in there.

The different Partsnumbers of the Slider is because the 41R and the 1FK ARE different from what we already certainly know ...

- The inner Part of the Sliders are different, 1FK is straight, Earl mentioned there's a smaller Diameter on the bottom Part of the 41R Slider to deal with the smaller Diameter Spring

- The Boring in the Bottom of the Slider is a different Diameter.

- the Diaphragms are the same, or at least, they appear to be the same

What i don't know is if the outer Diameters of the Sliders are different. I seem to remember that one or two Members used Sliders from the other Generation and drilled the Vent Hole or even epoxied it to give it a smaller Boring. That wouldn't work when the Slider would have different OD.

In the End, it's not that important. We don't know much about the History of the Bikes bought used or bought off a certain Model and Year.

And it's also not a Matter of who's right or wrong. Sure, it would be nice to know for sure, but on the End of the Day, everybody gotta deal with the Things he has as a given.