Has anyone experienced electrical interference on their headsets when plugged into the intercom system?

i am getting a ticking noise in the speakers when the engine is running. Ticking is there regardless whether using the headsets in intercom, Cb, or radio/audio mode.

Any ideas or suggestions?

The sets I am using are sold by Show Chrome Accessories...maybe part of the problem. Only cost $100 per set. Get what you pay for?

Is there an inline noise filter available to eliminate the interference?

Thanks!:lightbulb:

Edited by terrysears

Yes, often just slightly moving the intercom wire will take care of that issue. It runs just under the left side of the gas tank and close to the plug wire on that side. I could actually just reach under there and slightly pull it to the side and the noise went away.

Sometimes you can just wrap (shield) the intercom wire with aluminum foil. A thin coat is all it takes. The foil should be grounded at some point along it's length. A bare wire tucked under the foil and attached to a ground screw works fine.

I occasionally check my plug wires by grounding a screwdriver and slowly passing it along the plug wires. If at any point this makes the engine run rough the plug wire is leaking nd needs to be replaced. This can also be done with an old fashioned bulb type 12 volt test light. NOT a digital or LED. And don't expect the bulb to light up. It won't. Just listen for the engine to misfire. To test to see if the plugs are firing attach a timing light to the plug wires one at a time. Don't worry about setting the timing. you just want to make sure the light lights up on all four cylinders.

Mike

P.S. I get the small bare wire by pulling a strand out of a 16 or 18 gauge multi strand wire.

Edited by MikeWa
PS added

I've had that problem since my bike was new. I've tried moving the intercom wire under the tank but nothing helps. Sometimes the ticking is worse than others. I wish I could stop it.

This is not particularly uncommon, but is usually very easy to fix as described by several people above. Often the amount of ignition noise will change just by turning the forks all the way to one side or another - this is caused by the wires being slightly pulled by the turning forks, thus slightly changing their position in relation to the spark plug wires.

If just trying to slightly readjust the position of the wire bundles under the gas tank has not fixed the issue, pay attention to how the plug wire is routed. If it is arched up against the wires, try pulling it down and to the side a bit. Although shielding the wire bundles with foil can work, it is not necessary on this bike. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I turned the forks all the way to the left and right and the ticking stopped. I guess the intercom wire is pickup up some interference from the plug wires. Now I have to figure out how to get at the wires to move them, or insulate the intercom wire. Not much room to get your hand up under the tank.

Will this require tank removal to get at the wires - or is ther another way? Should I remove the engine side mounts to better get my hand up under - or just remove the tank? I hate the idea of doing either! HELP!!

+1 to just removing the tank and taking a good look at what is down there.

As MikeWa said, it is not hard to do... at all.

1) Turn fuel petcock to 'off' and let bike run for a few minutes to drain the hose a tad

2) Two screws on the top of the tank to remove the plastic cover

3) unplug fuel sending unit, remove headset connector, remove/detatch vapor vent hose

4) remove seat

5) remove 2 bolts on front of tank going into neck of bike, remove 1 bolt at rear of tank (right under the upward lip of where the seat would be)

6) Disconnect fuel line from petcock

7) Lift off tank

DONE.

It really is quite simple. I have had to do this on the side of the road once, did it with no problems and have done it more times that I care to count in my garage.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I turned the forks all the way to the left and right and the ticking stopped. I guess the intercom wire is pickup up some interference from the plug wires. Now I have to figure out how to get at the wires to move them, or insulate the intercom wire. Not much room to get your hand up under the tank.

Will this require tank removal to get at the wires - or is ther another way? Should I remove the engine side mounts to better get my hand up under - or just remove the tank? I hate the idea of doing either! HELP!!

Well, since turning the forks alone changed the ticking, you may be able to fix it by doing nothing more than grabbing the wire bundle where it comes out in front of the tank on the left side of the steering head and just generally pulling and moving it there - that is exactly what was happening when you turned the forks, so do it a bit more with your hand. You can't really grab the wires there, but if you turn the forks all the way to the right, then you can put a long screwdriver or stick under the wires near the front of the steering head and kind of pry up on them a bit to stretch them out - no need to do it too hard. I have stopped the interference on several bikes this way without having to pull the tank.

ALSO, with the engine off (and cool), just slide your fingers around behind that top left dog bone (upper engine mount). You will feel the plug and wire just behind it. Make sure the plug cap is fully down on the plug and use your fingers to try and tug a bit on the plug wire to see if you can move it a bit.

Goose

Thanks again guys, really appreciate it. I'll try Goose's suggestion first. If that doesn't work, I'll pop off the tank. I'll report back with the results. $12.00 bucks a year for membership is a real bargain - our dealer here, although really great, charges $75.00 / hr. If I can fix it myself with your guy's help, I can use the money saved for more accessories!

Cheers!