IGNORED

Comparing the Strato/Roadliner AND a Vulcan 2000

BigBoyinMS

I'm thinking hard about adding another bike or trading my Road Star and I was pretty much decided on a Yamaha Roadliner or Stratoliner; but then I started researching the Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 and it's definitely in the mix now.

I was just wondering if anyone has owned both or had a chance to ride both to compare them in power, riding position and comfort. I've been on a Liner a couple of times and would be happy with one but I'm understanding that the Vulcan gives a little more room to stretch out and a lower seat height.

Anyone?

Just so happens that one of my riding buddies has the V2k, another has a Strat. I have ridden both, I don't think there is a lot of difference in power....not enough that I could say for sure which one was the winner in that area.

It does seem to me that the Strat handles better in curves and at low speeds but that is just my opinion.

You may be interested in this....my buddy's Vulcan is presently at the dealer getting new rings and valve work. At 50,000 it started using oil at the rate of a quart every 6-7 hundred miles. He bought this bike new from the dealer doing the work. All service has been done at the dealer, and always according to the pm schedule. Nothing but OEM filters and oil. The dealer called Kawasaki to complain about this since they know the history of the bike. Guess what Kawasaki told them......"This is normal for the big V-twin" and they won't stand behind it.

Guess who won't ever be buying a Kawasaki???

Good luck on your decision.

I have not driven the Vulcan but I have compared the two side by side at a local dealer. My opinion is the overall fit and finish is much better on the Yamaha than the Kawi. I really do not like the crackled black paint on the Vulcan motor or the lack of safety chrome touches that comes with the Stratoliner. My :2cents: vote is for the Yamaha because of the fit and finish.

have a buddy that has his 2nd 2k and they are fast and comfortable, but as stated above, both of his started using oil after about 30k and the folks at kawi said normal big twin thing blah blah blah...

none for me thanks.

mike

I don't know about Kawasaki, but Yamaha puts a nikasil or ceramic coating on the cylinders. I have a set of jugs off a Roadstar with 40,000+ miles on it and there is no ring ridge and the cross hatching is still visible.

Just to clarify that before somebody asks. The ceramic coating has been used on the RoadStar ever since they came out. I didn't know for sure about the Stratoliner but they the RSV does not have the ceramic coated cylinders to my knowledge.

Sorry about that. I forgot to provide the reference.

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2007models/2007models-Yamaha-RoadlinerS.htm

Huge 100mm bore ceramic composite-plated cylinders provide uniform heat dissipation, reduce weight, reduce friction and increase cylinder service life.

The pistons feature an Alumite coating to reduce friction.

And right on Star's site.

http://search.starmotorcycles.com/?all=u1&i=1&pa=star&q=ceramic&u1=q

Edited by flb_78