The boat I got last year has a set of air horns in it.

I don't think I need them on the boat as much as on my '83 vr!

I haven't dug into it yet so I don't even know what parts need to be moved...I assume there has to be some sort of compressor as well as the horns themselves.

I've read about needing relays when adding just about any electrical stuff to our bikes.

1. Is there a concern of how much power they draw?
  2. what relay do I need? (if any)
  3. Does the relay used depend on the draw?
  4. I assume it goes on the hot wire between the battery and load?
  5. I wouldn't think so, but just to be sure, should it be close to the battery or close to the load or does it matter?

And lastly....what the heck does a relay DO anyway?:confused24:

Regardless of which of these types you have you will need a relay.

1. YES

2. The standard 30amp that is available in every auto store should work fine.

3. Yes but it is unlikely that you will be drawing more than the standard 30A relay.

4. It does not matter if the relay is in the power wire or the ground wire, but it is preferred in the power wire.

5. It does not mater if the relay is close to the load or the battery.

The first thing you need to do is to figure out what kind of system those horns use.

There are electric horns that look like air horns.

There are air horns that use a small on demand type compressor.

There are air horns that use a compressor to fill an air tank and it is the stored pressure that blows the horns.

The short version is that a relay is like a remote switch to be able to switch big currents by using a smaller switch like what is already on your horn circuit on the bike.

I used the 'Badboy" horn/compressor all in one unit. about $ 40.00. I mounted this where the the TCI unit was originaly mounted. I have previously relocated the TCI to top of the air filiter. The horn fit very well, is protected from water (mostly) and is still very loud. I mounted a 20 amp relay inside the left fairing under the radio. I wired the power through the factory horns which are still in operation. The factory horn swtich works well. I think I gave the horn it's own fused circuit as well, but I am not certain.

No real concern on the power draw, unless you plan on blowing this new found toy on a continual basis. You will need to use the right wire size from the battery through the relay to the horn. Now if you plan to install an eighteen wheeler air horn, or one from a locomotive,, you may want to upgrade your charging system a little. As mentioned, the Bad Boy is the way to go, and will run fine off of the stock system.