IGNORED

Hey RandyA, Time to do second gear.

fixit3546

Didi you place a Copper Washer under the lowest Bolt of the six Bolts of the FinalDrive Cover ?

The Washer has to be there, or it will do like a Harley :D :D :D

Hey Squeeze, i got that washer in the right place. the problem was the clutch rod seal had backed out. and it was POURING oil. I rode it home from work and had a heavy smoke screeen behind me.

Thanks Randy, i'll remember that one.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Squeeze, i got that washer in the right place. the problem was the clutch rod seal had backed out. and it was POURING oil. I rode it home from work and had a heavy smoke screeen behind me.

Thanks Randy, i'll remember that one.

You've mentioned that in a other Thread

so, Motor's fine now, everything OK ?

I have an 83 standard venture with 54000 on the clock needs the 2nd gear done anybody interested?

Do you mean interested in fixing it for you, or helping you fix it or thinking of it as a parts bike? At 54K miles, that should be a good candidate for the undercut program. Unless it has just been beat to death, that should be an easy fix.

What are you thinking about doing to it and how do you feel about your mechanical abilities and do you have a place to work on it?

Fixit, I am tickled for you on your bike. You will have a much closer feel for your bike than ever before because now you are part of it.

RandyA

I bought a basket from a member here an 88 and almost have it done Im sure I could do the repair and really like the under cut idea you guys got going on here and could probably do that but my back is kinda out and not sure how much riding I am even going to get to do so lifting the motor maybe not so I relly am not sure what to do with the 83 I bought it from my cousin 2 years ago as a basket case and really love it cept for that 2nd gear thing. the 88 wasnt really a basket just needed forks and plastic and rear wheel and a few other things and put together. open to suggestions though....

Had a better look the other day, the colouring on a few gears are different, found different circlips than shown in the parts diagram(11&25) for the 83 (matched an 86 Vmax). So it looks like it was done before, but still found thrust washers needed changing.

Given that the new thrust washer is harder and thicker and causes more engagement, that should fix it for good. But for me I would still want to consider the undercut, even though you will probably never need it.

RandyA

to whom....did you know that the 1300s already have 2nd gear undercut? They do...In fact where there are slots and dogs there is undercut on these. I am surprised at the wear on your washers and retainers.My 87's are like new after 70k. But the middle bearing blowing apart was no fun. It's still in pieces. It's coming together...I hope. Yes, I am slow...a perfectionist.

• 10 months later...

The question came up today so i thought i'd add it to this thread for anyone reading it.

There is not a gasket between the case halves. It is machine fit and only requires a sealant.

Yamaha makes a product that i am told is called Yamabond. I assume it works well, never tried it.

I used "Three Bond 1104 Liquid Gasket" It was recomended by y local parts dealer. it worked well.

Yamaha makes a product that i am told is called Yamabond. I assume it works well, never tried it.

I used "Three Bond 1104 Liquid Gasket" It was recomended by y local parts dealer. it worked well.

Yamaha, more likely packages the product, with their labels. I think it is the same stuff.

See http://www.threebond.com/Comsumer.html

"Our ability to meet the stringent requirements of manufacturers that lead the world also enables us to satisfy the demands of consumer markets such as the world's largest cosmetics companies and the hobby industry. We produce and market a range of adhesive products for consumers, from fingernail kits to plastic repair kits for motorcycle fairings, to adshesives for radio-controlled airplane modeling. After we've contributed to the building of your car, ThreeBond products help you to maintain it. As well as producing and selling our own range of car care products, we supply private label liquid chemical products to a variety of industries for sale under their brand names. For years they have trusted ThreeBond's commitment to production, quality control, delivery and after-sales service."