IGNORED

if you have a TEXAS Class A non-CDL license

Guest tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

If you have managed to get a Texas non-CDL class A license, I would like to know which agency you dealt with....which county or facility.

I have a buddy who has bought a truck for personal use and is having some trouble with the local clueless DPS office.

So...if you have that non-CDL class A, which is actually required in Texas to drive a large motorhome pulling a heavy trailer, please let me know.

Thanks.

I've never heard of a non-cdl class A. Granted texas may have something similar. In La we have a class d. Regardless of size, if it's a motorhome and is not considered a commercial veh you don't need a cdl. If he's transporting race cars with sponsors on them he can be classified as in commerce.

Guest tx2sturgis

Take my word for it. Or do a google search for "Texas non-CDL Class A".

You will get a lot of results pertaining to motorhomes, farm exemptions, military, and the like.

But if you keep drilling down, you will find that even a 17 year old, new driver, can apply for a Class A, non-CDL, and be eligible for the Texas Class A Intersate CDL when he turns 21.

These are facts that the DMV clerks at the windows dont seem to grasp, but its right there on page 1-4 (section one, page four) of the Texas Drivers Handbook.

I have had my CDL ( with ALL endorsements: PTX, plus M) since they were first mandated; before that, in Texas we had what was called Chauffeur and Commercial license, and I had the Chauffeur license, which meant I could drive trucks and buses. ( the present day meaning of chauffer's permit is something quite different)

Anyway, the new laws mean that clerks and even supervisors end up confused, and refuse to admit there is such a thing, UNLESS its a motorhome. But the fact is the handbook says ANY vehicle over 26,000 lbs (GVW) pulling a trailer over 10,000 lbs (GVW) requires a Class A, and a driver can upgrade his class from C ( cars) to B or A, by taking the appropriate written and skills test. And NOT checking the "CDL" box on the application.

But DMV employees arent known for being customer oriented.

Govmint. Cant live with em...yeah...thats it. Cant live with em.

Fmsca says u have to be in commerce to be considered a com

ercial motor vehicle. If ur not in commerce u don't need a cdl regardless if ur motorhome is on a class 8 chassis. I'm not referring to what tx does with the non cdl

class a.

If you have managed to get a Texas non-CDL class A license, I would like to know which agency you dealt with....which county or facility.

I have a buddy who has bought a truck for personal use and is having some trouble with the local clueless DPS office.

So...if you have that non-CDL class A, which is actually required in Texas to drive a large motorhome pulling a heavy trailer, please let me know.

Thanks.

I sometimes drive a fairly large motorhome and pull my land dingy behind and only have a regular license. Texas doesn't require a CDL and never heard of a non-CDL DL here in Texas nor anywhere else.

if the vehicle is not registered and tagged as a commercial vehicle then you should not need one.. But if you sometimes drive a registered commercial vehicle not for commercial use ( like taking it to a shop )then you might need one

I could be wrong .