Hello everyone:

I have a project I'm working on. I am trying to put an 87 trunk onto my 84. The color matches and I have almost all the 85 hardware to make it work. The only things I need are the two pieces of steel that hold the trunk to the locks on the rack. If anyone has an 85 trunk that is broken or in bad shape and would be willing to part with some of the hardware I'd be extremely happy.

Hey Wayne, I just happened to think, the hardware is still on the trunk from the '85 and when I finally get around to it, I probably won't care if the trunk is removable or not, so if nothing comes up before Saturday, I'll take it off that one...

Thanks Brian: I have side bags. In fact I have a spare set of side bags in blonde but I need trunk hardware for the 85 trunk.

Thanks Bob: You are AMAZING but maybe someone has a toasted trunk that I can get that hardware from... Just the same thank you.. I'm starting to get excited about having a bigger trunk AND having it match the bike... I get jealous when travelling with Marcarl and his 85. He just keeps stuffing stuff into that trunk when I'm hanging on mine to get it closed...

:cool10:

Not absolutely sure, but isn't the bottom configuration different between the '87 and the '85 trunk...??

Actually the plastic shell is identical but the hardware is different. I have most of the hardware to switch it. The 85 is removable so has some hardware on the bottom that allows it to attach to the rack but otherwise is the same.

Actually the plastic shell is identical but the hardware is different. I have most of the hardware to switch it. The 85 is removable so has some hardware on the bottom that allows it to attach to the rack but otherwise is the same.

So what I hear is that if an '85 trunk gets busted up any MKII trunk will fit, and the release hardware will mount to the bottom?? If so, that's good to know.

Yes Jack:

Bob and I had both apart a few weeks ago. Once you get the backrest and other stuff off the 87 (any MkII) then the holes and everything are exactly the same so the 85 backrest will bolt right on. The only thing different are the external bags. The 85 has 3 bags. 2 on either side of the backrest and one under it. The MkII has one on the right side and has an audio controller on the left side. You could drill holes and regain the one under the backrest if necessary.

I am missing the bottom hardware but I believe it will all fit as well and if not it will just mean drilling a hole but it looks like the spaces are already there.

In short it looks to be a direct replacement.

Wayne