IGNORED

Increasing horsepower

Guest tx2sturgis

All this talk of modifications to the Venture makes me want to relate a thought or two.

I have modified my Ultra Classic quite a bit. It runs well, and plenty of power too. I didnt want to take it to any higher level than where I have it now, because of reliability issues when you take the engine up to much more HP.

Mine is a 2000 with the more or less stock 88 inch Twin Cam. I did the stage one, (Screamin Eagle pipes, Screamin Eagle air cleaner, ECM remapping) plus gear drive cams with a tad more duration (and to get rid of those troublesome cam chain tensioners). Also added was a 'Ride Str8 swingarm stabilizer. All the mods have resulted in a nice rideable bike, but it WAS pretty expensive to do all this. We call this the 'Harley Tax'. Its the money you have to spend on one to get it to the point that makes YOU happy.

Still has stock transmission and pulleys....and many times I wish for a 6th gear. This bike is turning about 3100 RPM at 70 MPH. A bit faster than I'd like, especially when you ramp it up to around 80 or 90 mph. Still, it pulls well and will pull my trailer with no problems.

The new FL's have the bigger 96 inch, with a 6 speed transmission. The factory set up the gear ratios to allow a more relaxed RPM at highway speeds, but the engine is turning around 2500-2600 RPM at about 70 MPH. Fine for cruising, but a bit low for trailer pulling.

All this is to say, that I find the Venture has very well sorted out gear ratios. Since the motor has more but smaller pistons, it wants to turn a bit faster RPM's...and I find the 4 lower gears great around town, and that taller overdrive fifth is great at any reasonable highway speed I choose. I like the wide ratio transmission that Yamaha chose. It seems the old 5 speed transmission in the ElectraGlide has gear ratios that were chosen sometime back in history, when the federal speed limit was 55 mph. Its just a bit short for the higher torque motors today that cruise the highway at 75 mph (or more!)

Heres my take on this: I chose the Venture based on several factors, but one of them is the fact that you can just buy one of these and RIDE it! It has plenty of power for me, I dont need any more. It has perfect gearing, I dont want to change it. It rides and handles well, pulls my trailer easily, its comfy too. Nice stereo, decent luggage capacity, and looks like it belongs on the road, not on a trailer being hauled to the rallies!

No, it's not dripping chrome, its not a sportbike, its not a groundpounder or babe-stealing bar hopper...(well THAT would be nice!).....STILL...its a nice capable all-around scoot that gets the job done.

SOLD!

Guest KitCarson

That is a unique and pleasant way to say it......THE HARLEY TAX!!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:. I would love to have the new screaming eagle 110. I want to see how the ABS brakes do on the 2008, thing is I may never ever buy one, because for all the reasons you have mentioned about the Venture, and every time I turn the key on it, I like it more and more. That V-4 motor is a keeper for sure. I do love the Venture.

Guest tx2sturgis
That is a unique and pleasant way to say it......THE HARLEY TAX!!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:. I would love to have the new screaming eagle 110. I want to see how the ABS brakes do on the 2008, thing is I may never ever buy one, because for all the reasons you have mentioned about the Venture, and every time I turn the key on it, I like it more and more. That V-4 motor is a keeper for sure. I do love the Venture.

I forgot to add, I have just over 70,000 miles on my Ultra, and its no where near being worn out. I just wanted a newer bike to ride on the highways, and use my old Harley for my 'around town fun machine'....

That seem to be one of the first things that came up with the 2nd gen., (power). When I went to my first Street Vibartions up in Reno, I ran into three other guys that owned RSV's, and they told me what to do, and I'll pick up 12 more horsepower. $85.00 for K&N's, $389 for Baron Nasty Boys, and no rejetting. I noticed the difference in power right off the bat, and picked up between 2 & 3 more mpg., no re-jetting involved. That was 70,000 miles ago, and the bikes been running great. The Nasty Boys, which I guess they don't make any more, are a little on the noisy side, but I learned to live with them by using ear plugs. Not as loud as the 4x2's, so no problem listening to the radio, and I'm satisfied with the power. My 83 Venture being 750 lbs. and the 99RSV being 870, for 120 lbs. heavier, I think the 99 does pretty well. If you have to go any faster, then this is the wrong bike for you! :confused24: :whistling:

Where did you get the K&Ns for $85? Is that the little ones that go on top of the carbs, or drop ins on the stock airbox?

Thanks,

James

Guest KitCarson
I forgot to add, I have just over 70,000 miles on my Ultra, and its no where near being worn out. I just wanted a newer bike to ride on the highways, and use my old Harley for my 'around town fun machine'....

I have a friend who is a mechanic at the Harley shop in Summerton and this is what he is telling me.....the new motors in the last few years are doing well........not even any oil leaks, new head gasket materials, lots of new things, lookin good!!