IGNORED

Drive shaft lubed, quick and easy!

ken

With a little time to spare before work today I decided to start the job to pull the final drive and lube the drive shaft. In a matter of two hours I was able to pull the tire, remove, clean, moly and reinstall the hub. Pull the final drive and drive shaft clean her up, moly it and reinstall it. I was pleasantly surprised how easy and quick it was. Guess I’ll be putting this job on the yearly to do list.

:)

With a little time to spare before work today I decided to start the job to pull the final drive and lube the drive shaft. In a matter of two hours I was able to pull the tire, remove, clean, moly and reinstall the hub. Pull the final drive and drive shaft clean her up, moly it and reinstall it. I was pleasantly surprised how easy and quick it was. Guess I’ll be putting this job on the yearly to do list.

Ken; My bike is on the lift now with the tires off. Can you give a little write up of the steps? I imagine you just took the pumpkin off, but are there clips you have to worry about?

when i pulled my drive shaft to lube it, i had somewhat difficult time (both my son & I) getting the splines lined up with the u-joint....used a wire coat hanger to hold the u-joint in place while sliding the shaft in place. i found out how easy it is to miss the u-joint with the splines, thinking they were engaged. i would do mine more often if it weren't such a pain. glad to hear your went smoothly.

I lubed the splines and have everything back together. One question on aligning the pumpkin:

I put the axle in without the wheel and tightened the pinch bolt then tapped the pumpkin with a rubber mallet then tightened the acorn nuts. Just checking that that is correct.

I had quite a time getting the drive shaft into the u-joint, talk about doing something blind. I ended up sticking my finger in the hole with the rubber plug. Took a while, I had to stop calm down and try again. Seemed like it took hours, but it was only 25 minutes. Anyway, I finally got it in because of luck rather than any skill. Any way better lucky than smart when it comes to things like this. At one point I was ready to give up and come on the board to ask someone to come to my house.

Oh yea another thing that happened, I am working with the garage door open and it was rather windy. There are landscapers at some of the neighbors house. I did not think much of it till I came back out from getting a drink and wash some of the grease off my hands. I looked at my newly cleaned and meticulously greased splines and they were covered with leave particles from the landscaping. Any way I did not know what affect that would have so I cleaned every thing again and regreased.

I lubed the splines and have everything back together. One question on aligning the pumpkin:

I put the axle in without the wheel and tightened the pinch bolt then tapped the pumpkin with a rubber mallet then tightened the acorn nuts. Just checking that that is correct.

I had quite a time getting the drive shaft into the u-joint, talk about doing something blind. I ended up sticking my finger in the hole with the rubber plug. Took a while, I had to stop calm down and try again. Seemed like it took hours, but it was only 25 minutes. Anyway, I finally got it in because of luck rather than any skill. Any way better lucky than smart when it comes to things like this. At one point I was ready to give up and come on the board to ask someone to come to my house.

Oh yea another thing that happened, I am working with the garage door open and it was rather windy. There are landscapers at some of the neighbors house. I did not think much of it till I came back out from getting a drink and wash some of the grease off my hands. I looked at my newly cleaned and meticulously greased splines and they were covered with leave particles from the landscaping. Any way I did not know what affect that would have so I cleaned every thing again and regreased.

I'm thinking you should have put the wheel on and torqued it to 110ft lbs to make sure everything was aligned, and then torque the acorn bolts.:backinmyday:

Ken; My bike is on the lift now with the tires off. Can you give a little write up of the steps? I imagine you just took the pumpkin off, but are there clips you have to worry about?

Well I'll give it a shot.

1) After removing the wheel there will be a black sensor bolted to the left side attached with a phillips head bolt. Remove that and just let it hang.

2) Drain the final drive gear oil.

3) Remove the four acorn nuts.

4) Slide the final drive off. It should pull right out with the drive shaft attached.

5) Remove the drive shaft from the final drive. Just pull and wiggle (just a little) and it will pop right out. Careful not to loose the spring.

6) Clean the shaft and final drive gears and check the gears for damage.

7) Moly 60 on the drive shaft end that goes in the yolk.

8) Remove the left side cover and look for a rubber plug. Pull out the plug and with a flash light you will be able to see the ujoint that the shaft slides into. Get a pcs of wire, like a coat hanger and bend the end to a "U" shape. Use the hanger to grab around the "ujoint" and pull it up just a little. Hold it up while you insert the drive shaft back in. You should be able to feel it slide in. Remove the hanger and look in the hole where the rubber plug goes and spin the drive shaft with the bike in netural. You will be able to see the "ujoint" move with the shaft.

9) Moly up the other end and the gear in the final drive and push it back on the shaft. Install the acorn nut, but only hand tight. Put the wheel back on after lubing up the hub gears and torque it to 110 ft lbs. to align the final drive. Tighten the acorn nut. Put the sensor back on. Refill the Final Drive gear oil. Put the rubber plug back in the yolk.

Now while you at it might as will moly up the rear shock bolt. If your also greasing up the hub check the tech section.

This is how I did it! :080402gudl_prv:

Did you find that the final drive and drive shaft "WERE IN NEED" of the lube job?? The reason I ask is I am wondering just how long one can go before doing the Final drive and lube of the drive shaft. Would it be yearly or when the rear tire is changed or just what do you feel would be good maintenance procedure. How many miles between? DanC:cool10: