IGNORED

Cool, Vintage ads, that are fun to see

friesman

Our company offered employees a "group buy" and interest free loan with payroll deductions for up to $1000 of computer equipment purchases streched over 2 years.

I already had a "state of the art" system, I think it was a 486 that had just come out so I opted to use the money to buy some memory.

For $1000 I got one stick of 16 meg of RAM.

The 12% interest we should have paid on the loan was considered a taxable benefit.

By the time I finished paying for it, the amount of extra income tax I paid on the taxable benefit was more than the current price of the stick of RAM!

But my system could really fly...at least at first. By the time I finsished paying for the RAM Pentium's were out and my system was out of date.

Now of course...by the time you get it out of the box it is out of date!

It's amazing how fast the technology is changing. In 1986 I was an agent with New York Life and they made a deal with IBM for us to buy a computer and printer for over $6,000.00. They financed it with GE capital. The computer I think was a 1086. It had a 10meg hard drive and a floopy disk drive and monochrome screen. The printer was a dot matrix printer. I thought I was in heaven. When I would run a life insurance proposal I could take a nap while I waited for the computer to calculate. Then once it started printing I could take a nap while I waited for the printer to print. Things have changed and will continue to change.

This was my first computer:

http://uneasysilence.com/media/2010/10/Cosby-TI994A-2.jpg

It had that amazing 16 bit TMS9900 processor one of the ads in the original post mentioned. I had a cassette deck to back up programs but eventually upgraded to DUAL 5.25" (state of the art) floppy drives.

1981 I bought from the Post Exchange in Germany a TRS-80 Mod III, no floppy drive but cassette tape base with 2k ram and a radio shack TRS-80 dot matrix printer. Lots and lots and lots and lots and lots to typing in code, then debug and debug and .....I think you get the picture.

Rick A.