IGNORED

Bolts are driving me nuts!

Hi group,

Dunno about everyone else but been chasing missing bolts, and having problems with the hex / allen key heads stripping on my 03 Venture.

While stored in my garage for our great Canadian winter, I noticed both sides saddle bag rail's front bolts missing. Anyone know the part number or a suitable replacement?

Also noticed 2 small leaks of coolant under the cooling fins that cover the cylinders on the left side. Took it to a shop who removed them and told me it was the coolant plugs - a quick fix. I got the bike put away just before the snow flew and finally picked up the replacement plugs, figuring I would replace all 4. Well, I did 3. Why? Because the shop who discovered the leaky plugs must have stripped the head on 1 of the 3 bolts.

Frustrated that every time I go to do something on the bike, there is always 1 allen/hex headed bolt that is either seized or stripped.

I removed the backrest due to getting sore knees from the forward leaning position I was in, despite adjusting it all I could....and had 1 seized bolt, that I stripped the head from trying to remove.

Tried removing the saddlebags to switch back to stock exhaust from Barons Custom Bag Slash....stripped 1 bolt each bag. Got the quick release ones (Butlers?).

Frustrating.

I have changed most of my bolts, where possible with stainless Allen studs purchased from Flee-Bay. They seem to have a deeper neck than the stock ones for the key to fit in. Changed most but not all of them. Lubed with copper slip when they go back.

Some are specific to a particular job like the slide pins for the brakes I recently changed so you cant swap them out but as I remove an article from the bike I change the fasteners and haven't had any problems since with loss or seizure.

Neil. (Oldminer).:lightbulb:

You can always switch to hex head bolts as well. Use SS and they will look fine.

As Eusa1 stated, make sure you are using good quality metric allen keys and make sure they are properly seated before you start to turn them. I give them a gentle tap with something heavy to make sure they are all the way in firmly as well...

Be careful changing bolts to stainless. for non critical cosmetic stuff SS is fine, but stainless steel hardware does not have nearly as much strength as steel hardware.

For instance grade 8.8 steel screws have a tensile strength of 116,000psi with a minimum hardness of Rockwell C22 and is the metric equivalent of the SAE Grade 5. This is the cheap metric cap screws here.

Stainless steel metric cap screws are rated for a tensile strength of 101,000psi and are not rated for hardness.

Be careful changing bolts to stainless. for non critical cosmetic stuff SS is fine, but stainless steel hardware does not have nearly as much strength as steel hardware.

For instance grade 8.8 steel screws have a tensile strength of 116,000psi with a minimum hardness of Rockwell C22 and is the metric equivalent of the SAE Grade 5. This is the cheap metric cap screws here.

Stainless steel metric cap screws are rated for a tensile strength of 101,000psi and are not rated for hardness.

I've had pretty good luck so far with the local Ace Hardware store changing socket head bolts to hex head. Some even Grade 8.:cool10:

+1 to making sure you have a QUALITY set of tools to work with. It took me a few to realize that the hex tool I was using was partially rounded. That killed a few bolt heads. It did not take me long at all to start swapping out those stupid ones with regular bolts...

Good advice on the strength flyinfool!

Hi group,

Dunno about everyone else but been chasing missing bolts, and having problems with the hex / allen key heads stripping on my 03 Venture.

While stored in my garage for our great Canadian winter, I noticed both sides saddle bag rail's front bolts missing. Anyone know the part number or a suitable replacement?

Also noticed 2 small leaks of coolant under the cooling fins that cover the cylinders on the left side. Took it to a shop who removed them and told me it was the coolant plugs - a quick fix. I got the bike put away just before the snow flew and finally picked up the replacement plugs, figuring I would replace all 4. Well, I did 3. Why? Because the shop who discovered the leaky plugs must have stripped the head on 1 of the 3 bolts.

Frustrated that every time I go to do something on the bike, there is always 1 allen/hex headed bolt that is either seized or stripped.

I removed the backrest due to getting sore knees from the forward leaning position I was in, despite adjusting it all I could....and had 1 seized bolt, that I stripped the head from trying to remove.

Tried removing the saddlebags to switch back to stock exhaust from Barons Custom Bag Slash....stripped 1 bolt each bag. Got the quick release ones (Butlers?).

Frustrating.

I feel your pain. I have an 02 RSV and everytime I do something to it I have a stuck stripped or broken bolt. Then of course I have to drill, grind or break something to get it out. In the last few months I've had to drill one out of the fairing and a rear turn signals. Had to grind one off inside the left saddle bag, and spin one out on the lower right fairing. Still have on stripped on the right side frame cover.