IGNORED

Carb troubles!

rjjammer

Maybe someone here can help.

Does anyone here know how to remove stripped and seized air screws on the venture carbs? I have had a lot of trouble with my carbs and found a decent set of used ones. I cleaned them up replaced the needle and seats, new slides and diaphragms, as I was getting ready to re install them I saw the air screws had the heads stripped off and they wont move, I want to see if I can fix these any suggestions?

Thanks

Rob

Maybe someone here can help.

Does anyone here know how to remove stripped and seized air screws on the venture carbs? I have had a lot of trouble with my carbs and found a decent set of used ones. I cleaned them up replaced the needle and seats, new slides and diaphragms, as I was getting ready to re install them I saw the air screws had the heads stripped off and they wont move, I want to see if I can fix these any suggestions?

Thanks

Rob

Which screw do to mean by the air screws? Picture may help.

I have some extra screws here from an old set of carbs, if any would help.

I am also rebuilding a set of 86 carbs.

Gary

The air mixture screws on the front of the carbs right below the Diaphragm covers. These are the screws that are recessed. From the factory they have caps on them to prevent adjustment. I have some spare carbs and air mixture screws if I can remove the seized ones without damaging the carb bodies. Thing is that I wont be able to touch it again until the end of June. I work overseas and have to head out Wednesday. I wont be able to take leave until then. I would be interested in finding a rebuilt or good set of carbs I can jsut install and adjust.

Rob

If you can't get them until after you ship out, it may help if someone would shoot a little penetrating oil or Rust Buster in there once in awhile while you are gone.

Also, use a screwdriver that fits the slot of the mixture screw snugly, even if you have to grind the sides down on one to get it to fit into hole.

Sorry, about brain fart on previous post, I just always call them needle jets. I am the Forum idiot though.

:sign brain fart:

Gary

I would look at getting a cheap screwdriver with a flat tip that just fits into the hole and then grind the rest above the tip so it slides in. You want the widest blade you can get in there.

I bought a specialized carburetor adjustment screwdriver. It has two blades that spring apart to a wider blade. When the smaller green section (and attached tube) is moved toward the blade, it forces the two pieces closer which increases the GRIP by making the flat blade thicker, capturing the screw head in the slot...

http://www.bergall.org/temp/venture/screwdriver.jpg

Had the same idle mixture jet problem. First, you need to apply some "penetrating fluid" not WD40... that's a good temporary lubricant but too thick to really get in there (PB Blaster, liquid wrench are popular). Then, my solution still took a bit more than a day of nudging the screw that LITTLE bit that it would move one way, then back... then CW then CCW, back and forth and back and forth then an application of more penetrant and a wait, then back at the routine... it would allow a bit more turn but not darned much... eventually it backed out. Then another shot of penetrant on the threads of the jet and a good clean up then more penetrant in the hole and on the jet and used it to "chase" the threads cleaner so I could achieve a gentle "seat" and then back out and more cleaning... finally chasing everything out with a shot of penetrant into the TINY hole in the throat of the carb to blow junk out the empty idle jet hole. It WAS a total bear and I did envision having to buy another carb but gentle and persistence pays off... plop your rear down with a GOOD fitting screwdriver (and maybe a beer) and take your time. If you can't see "daylight" clearly through the idle jet hole (flashlight down the throat) then you will need to pull the carb to get that orifice cleaned properly... do NOT chase a wire in there!!!