IGNORED

Suzie runs! (almost)

Dave77459

I'm "taking advantage of Roxie's absence" to look into her predecessor, Suzie. Suzie is a 1989 Suzuki Intruder 750GLP. She was my starter bike, and when I got 10,000 miles on her I started looking for a step up, and that's when I got Roxie in July, 2008. Since then, Suzie hasn't been run much at all.

I started her and got her to rough idle about 6 months ago. I ran some SeaFoam through her, but she still was rough.

Today I completely took the tank off and drained it, then sloshed some Coleman's fuel around and drained that. I put it back on and put in fresh fuel. She started just about right away.

However, she wouldn't idle, and eventually coughed and gave up. Now she won't start, and will barely catch now and again.

What should I look at next? Fuel filter?

Dave

PS. I could go to IntruderAlert, which is much like VR. I just like y'all more. :)

Clogged low speed jet.

You will need to take the carbs off and take them apart. No special tools except needing a small diameter wire. If you have stranded wiring, use a single strand. Guitar string (small one); sometimes you can use the wire in a twist tie; you get the idea.

Take it apart, look at the jet (cylinder that needle goes into), poke and clean every orific.

This should take care of the 'no idle' issue.

While you have it apart, check the condition of your carb boots. Both sets - airbox to carbs and carbs to cylinders (if they have them on this bike).

Shouldn't take too long to do. May require a few gaskets for the float bowls, but often in the older models you can reuse them if they don't tear.

Good luck.

RR

Thanks guys! We're having a mini maintenance day around here in a couple weeks. Hopefully someone will be able to help do what you suggest. Once I think about carbs, I get the hives!

I should be able to do the filter though. It's remarkable how much simpler this v-twin is compared to our fours.

Dave

Dave,

The carbs aren't that hard. There will be essentially no adjustments (that's the hard part without the experience or tools). This is simply take them off, take them apart, clean, put them back together the same way they came apart, reinstall, ride.

RR

Just a thought, maybe the carb bowl has too much camp fuel in it. Drain the float bowl then let it refill and try starting it, again. Is there a fuel line to the carb that you can disconnect to see it there is fuel getting TO the carb? That would tell you about the fuel filter being plugged, or not.

Just a thought, maybe the carb bowl has too much camp fuel in it. Drain the float bowl then let it refill and try starting it, again. Is there a fuel line to the carb that you can disconnect to see it there is fuel getting TO the carb? That would tell you about the fuel filter being plugged, or not.

If it refills, then it 's getting fuel. Open the drain again and see!

Dave,

The carbs aren't that hard. There will be essentially no adjustments (that's the hard part without the experience or tools). This is simply take them off, take them apart, clean, put them back together the same way they came apart, reinstall, ride.

RR

Thanks for the encouragement. We'll see...

In a 750 intruder, it is kinda hard to get the carbs off. Not techically difficult, just have to remove alot of other stuff to get to them.

The two service manuals (Clymer's and official) are not exactly clear on the procedure, either. :(

I didn't really run camp fuel in it this past time. I put some in, and sloshed the tank to try to clean it. If it ran, I would have added more camp fuel. I saw there was some sandy-looking stuff that came out after I sloshed it around. I am afraid some of the sandy stuff has now plugged the filter. Possible?

If it refills, then it 's getting fuel. Open the drain again and see!

I need to scratch my head and see just where the float bowls are. :think:

Thanks for all'y'all's help!

Dave