IGNORED

Suspension Air Pump

Just wanted to let everyone know that Harley Davidson makes a hand pump for airing up the suspension system on the Venture. It allows removal of the air fitting without loosing the selected air pressure within:cool10: the shock. It also has a flexible hose which helps in connecting the pump to the air valve on the shock.

Item: Touring Suspension Air pump

Part#: 54630-03A

Cost: 49.95

air adjust: 0 through 60lbs.

Just wanted to let everyone know that Harley Davidson makes a hand pump for airing up the suspension system on the Venture. It allows removal of the air fitting without loosing the selected air pressure within:cool10: the shock. It also has a flexible hose which helps in connecting the pump to the air valve on the shock.

Item: Touring Suspension Air pump

Part#: 54630-03A

Cost: 49.95

air adjust: 0 through 60lbs.

I had one of them but didn't like the fact that it was a 60 lb guage so ordered one from my Local Yamaha dealer taht is a 30 pound gauge and is in 1 pound increments. So nice for the front forks and if I am going to pull a trailer I then us the harley one for the back shock since it doesn't have to be as accurate. The one from Yamaha dealer was only $40.00

Disclaimer: This is MY method and so far it has worked for me. Unless you have a very light touch I wouldnt recommend trying it. I may be a bull in a cheap dish store but I do have a delicate touch. (and there will be no further explanations either)

I know im gonna get yelled at but here goes. I always used my air compressor to add air to the front forks. I dial down the pressure knob and using a long handled air chuck I just slipped it over the valve and gave it a split second burst of air. Thats all it takes. Never hold it down on the valve for any length of time as the bladder will pop. I check the pressure with an old low pressure gauge I have. I keep it at 5 lbs and it almost never needs adjusting. :smile5:

Disclaimer: This is MY method and so far it has worked for me. Unless you have a very light touch I wouldnt recommend trying it. I may be a bull in a cheap dish store but I do have a delicate touch. (and there will be no further explanations either)

I know im gonna get yelled at but here goes. I always used my air compressor to add air to the front forks. I dial down the pressure knob and using a long handled air chuck I just slipped it over the valve and gave it a split second burst of air. Thats all it takes. Never hold it down on the valve for any length of time as the bladder will pop. I check the pressure with an old low pressure gauge I have. I keep it at 5 lbs and it almost never needs adjusting. :smile5:

I know that Ruffy does not want to hear it, but this reply is for anyone reading this post who do not already understand the problem.

First, the forks are designed for a MAXIMUM of 7 lbs air. It is virtually impossible to accurately adjust any large compressor for that low. If you have it too high, you risk damage to your bike.

Second, I absolutely GUARANTEE that it is impossible to get both forks at the same pressure with this method unless you have already added a balancing kit. And if the forks are even 1/2 lb difference, it DOES affect the handling.

The reason it is not even remotely possible to set them to the same pressure is due to the very small air volume of the forks. Just removing the air chuck (or any air gauge) will release some minor puff, and that minor puff will not be the same each time. That is why the ONLY way to properly check or adjust the air in the forks is with a tool that has a ZERO LOSS chuck - that is one that maintains a total seal on the air valve until the internal schrader valve is released.

So if you value the integrity of your forks or the handling characteristics of your bike, NEVER EVER try to adjust the front forks without the proper tool! Always better to just make sure they are both empty.

Sorry Ruffy, but that had to be said.

Goose

I knew it was coming hence the disclaimer. And no, I dont recommend it either, but its just something that has worked for ME. And no Goose, I dont take it personally....LOL. Your right on this issue. I probably shouldnt have even posted this as its NOT good advice. Guess we all have our bad habits somewhere.....:smile5:

So if you value the integrity of your forks or the handling characteristics of your bike, NEVER EVER try to adjust the front forks without the proper tool! Always better to just make sure they are both empty.

Sorry Ruffy, but that had to be said.

Goose

Goose, thanks for that info! I'm interested to know what most of you do when 2/up and trunk and saddlebags are loaded for a long trip? AND, what is the proper tool to use for both front and rear shocks. Is there one tool that works as you describe Goose, or do I need to purchase two? Does adding the air make the 2/up fully loaded ride more comfortable, or is it even necessary? Using the air gauge that is in the tool kit I get zero on all three right now, so I'm wondering if I need to put some air in for riding 2/up, which is why I bought this beautiful machine in the first place! Any comments are appreciated!

BigDawg

P.S. How do you put those weather and US maps at the bottom of your post?

Goose, thanks for that info! I'm interested to know what most of you do when 2/up and trunk and saddlebags are loaded for a long trip? AND, what is the proper tool to use for both front and rear shocks. Is there one tool that works as you describe Goose, or do I need to purchase two? Does adding the air make the 2/up fully loaded ride more comfortable, or is it even necessary? Using the air gauge that is in the tool kit I get zero on all three right now, so I'm wondering if I need to put some air in for riding 2/up, which is why I bought this beautiful machine in the first place! Any comments are appreciated!

BigDawg

The Progressive shock pumps work fine for both the front forks and the rear shock (and the one HD sells is just a Progressive pump with an HD logo on it). Personally, I just have the 0-60 pump. It works fine for the front forks, but does take a bit of extra care to ensure the pressure is equal. One of the 0-30 or 0-15 pumps would certainly be better for the forks, but then I would still need the 0-60 one for the rear shock. And I often change the rear pressure - never change the front.

In my opinion, 0 in the forks is fine, even for two-up riding. Adding air to the forks does not perceptibly change the "comfort" of the ride, but it does firm up the handling for more precise and consistent lines through the curves. I typically run my forks at 5 lbs.

But I do feel that air in the rear is critical for comfort. I weigh 250, and riding solo with an empty bike and 30 in the rear shock I have no problems riding 1,300 miles straight. But I find myself tired and sore after a 300 mile day if I have less than 20 lbs in the shock. If I am riding fully loaded or two-up, I find that 45 in the shock usually works fine, but in extreme load situations I will take it all the way to 50.

Do not try to check the shock pressure with the bike fully loaded or a passenger sitting on the bike - it will read very high due to the weight. If the bike is already loaded, put it on the sidestand and pull up on the right grab rail before you check the pressure.

Goose

What should the rear shock pressure be set at if 2 up and loaded bags?

How do you add the US map to the bottom?

BigDawg

I refer you both to this here post talking about maps in the signature. If that doesn't do it for you, do a search for "signature states" and you can find a zillion more posts. I could tell you more easily than referring you, but learning how to effectively search the site will pay enormous dividends.

Good luck!

Dave

You can blow out your seals in a heart beat if you are not extremely careful. DanC:whistling: