IGNORED

Max Receiver tongue weight

CaptainJoe

Anyone know what it is.... Where to find it?

max load on a 2nd Gen Venture is 419 lbs.

most trailers say 10 to 15% toungue weight, so 200lb trailer would be 20-25 lb.

unigo trailers say 33% tongue weight, of a 180lb loaded trailer so 60Lb.

Am looking into creating a trunk like luggage carrier fully supported by the receiver hitch..

Can't find any documentation from Yamaha that says one way or the other...

hitchdocs website says:

For more information, please call 1-800-446-8222 or email us at questions@hitchdoc.com

WARNING!!!

Do not exceed the motorcycle manufacturer's Gross Vehicle weight limit when loading and pulling ANY trailer with ANY motorcycle. HitchDoc motorcycle trailer hitches are made with 3/8 inch and 1/4 inch plate steel. ALL HitchDoc motorcycle trailer hitches have a MAXIMUM tongue weight load of 40 pounds. Tongue weight must NEVER EXCEED 10% of the GROSS TRAILER weight including ALL CONTENTS AND CARGO.

I weighed my receiver mounted luggage carrier after it was loaded and it came in at 40#s. I didn't notice any handling issues at this weight but when we tied a well loaded overnight bag to the top for a short distance I could tell right away it was there.

I would suggest to keep the weight as close as possible to the back fender. The further it is away the more leverage on the receiver.

so total load capacity for on your bike was :

you

your wife

accessories

cargo:

left and right saddle bag

trunk

cooler + overnite bag

Maximum Load Capacity 419 lbs as per page 1-3 of Owners Manual(O.M) XVZ13TFW© & XVZ13TFMW©:

"which includes total weight of rider, passenger, accessories, and cargo must not exceed load capacity shown in the owners manual." as per Warning 1-6 of O.M.

I'm 230lbs.

419-230=189

figure 20 lbs in each saddlebag +20 in trunk is 60 as per warning on page 1-6 of O.M.

189-60= 139

***no passenger*** my wife likes to ride her own motorcycle, and she won't let me have a "female riding friend"....:duck:

139-19 lbs of accessories = 120 lbs (saddle bag crome,trunk rack, highwaybars, drink holders, trunk wing, back rest etc...)

so I've got 120 lbs left?...

So.........

I'm think'n I could get away with 60 lbs for a "Total" receiver weight which includes the weight of the container / frame and lights... This would give some "wiggle" room to help compensate for the cantilever effects...

Edited by CaptainJoe

I already have 3 trailers that sit around most of the time.

Plus.. don't they have t be licensed and inspected?

If I did buy one it would be the Unigo as I like their design.

Would mainly use to haul my wifes metal detector and folding chairs etc...

Hence the "hitch route"

Well these will all be guesses on my part.

Me (with riding gear) 230

wife " " " 140

saddle bags 50

trunk & luggage rack 50

receiver hitch rack 40

total 510

Not counting all of my safety chrome, GPS, XM radio, wife's purse etc. etc. Probably another 100#s so lets just round it off too 600#s or almost 200#s over Yamaha's limit. We didn't have any handling issues in over 5000 miles. Tires still look good and mileage didn't suffer either. I did bottom out the suspension a few times on some of the roads in Alaska and the Yukon. I think we have all seen a few bikes with the rider and passenger that would weigh in at well past the max too. IMHO they just put that number out there to cover their butts in case of a law suit.

Some info from the Rivco site about their setup....

This rack is made from strong, lightweight aircraft aluminum and powder coated in bright silver. While the rack been tested to 250 lbs., it’s rated at a 35 lb. maximum load capacity to maintain good handling characteristics

Keith

GaryN, Im thinkin they are coverin their butts also as I know some husband and wife combos that exceed 419 lbs.

keithR, good idea out of aluminum... bit expensive with the lights

I can make out of 1/16" X 1 1/4 X 1 1/4 square steel stock that is strong enough for a max weight of around 40-60 lbs .

Thanks Guys!

Edited by CaptainJoe

Gary, by the way, that is a nice setup up you have.

I'll do just about the same thing but will build the lights into the platform like the $200-300 ones from Rivco.

Atop that, I will place as nice of a cooler as I can find that is 24" L X 12-16" w X 16" H

That way I'll be able to take the cooler off and install some stands so that I can haul longer items upright(metal detectors shovel etc.)

Noticed the pipes are only going to be about 2 inches below the cooler. Did you have any problems with exhaust heat?

also anyone else have pics of their receiver racks/setups to haul the extras?

Edited by CaptainJoe

Didn't notice any issues with heat from the pipes. If you have stock style pipes you can probably keep your platform height a little lower. Had to raise mine to miss the fishtail tips.

I didn't use a cooler. It's just a Rubber Maid storage container that I had kicking around the shop. It had lockable latches so that was a bonus. It was pretty much water tight but when we did Top of the World Hwy. It got full of dust. Anything we put in there that we were concerned about getting wet, we put in a zip lock plastic bag.

FYI, for anyone thinking of building something like this. There are some real nice LED reproduction tail lights available IE: '39 Ford, '48 Chev, '50 Pontiac and some others that mount flush on any flat surface. Just pickup any Street Rod magazine or look on e-bay. I thought of this after I built mine. The '48 Chev lights would have worked perfect. http://www.uapac.com/ant/products.php?series=led&cate=1&item_no=31&view=3

Not to hijack the thread but has anyone tried the Un-igo trailer? Neat idea but wondering how it compares to "normal" trailers in the way of capacity. Watching the video where they had someone following the trailer it looked a little unstable. The rider seemed to wander.

If I did buy one it would be the Unigo as I like their design.