OK...in about a month I'll be taking my bike in for all service it needs EXCEPT the oil change (I'll do that myself).

I will let them replace plugs, do a carb synch, change the air filter, replace the final gear oil, and repack the steering bearings. I know that some of this may be a little early, but I'd just as soon get it all done now so I don't have to take the bike back for awhile.

Am I MISSING anything else they could or should do? I know some of you might be inclined to tell me to do some of those things...but I am much better at turning the key and the throttle than I am at turning a wrench.

Thanks.

Wally

Have 'em check your brakes, cables & if you don't want to diy, have them install the Front Fork Air Balance Kit. Check this thread. It's the only way to make sure the air pressure is the same in both forks.

Edited by awsmsrv
fixed link: sorry

OK...in about a month I'll be taking my bike in for all service it needs EXCEPT the oil change (I'll do that myself).

I will let them replace plugs, do a carb synch, change the air filter, replace the final gear oil, and repack the steering bearings. I know that some of this may be a little early, but I'd just as soon get it all done now so I don't have to take the bike back for awhile.

Am I MISSING anything else they could or should do? I know some of you might be inclined to tell me to do some of those things...but I am much better at turning the key and the throttle than I am at turning a wrench.

Thanks.

Wally

At 11k miles you should not need new air filters. I usually blow mine out with compressed air and re-install them, unless they are really dirty. I have over 30k on my set and they still look new. Also at 11k if your looking at a new rear tire, that would also be a good time to grease the driveshaft splines and the hub dampner inside the rear wheel. Yamaha is very stingy with its grease. Now, if you can change your own oil you can change the final drive fluid as well. Very simple procedure. Remove the l/s saddlebag, level the bike as much as you can, set a pan under the drive unit, remove the upper final drive bolt, loosen and remove the lower bolt and the oil will drain out. Tighten up the lower bolt. 17 ft lbs I believe, and add your fluid to the upper hole, filling it to just about 1/4 to 1/8" below the opening. Torque your bolt back in and your done.

Thanks.

Wally

Any thoughts on the FUEL FILTER? I change mine once a year on spec.. pain in the buttocks to get at but worth the peace of mind.. inexpensive filter that can save you a lot of problems... ;)