IGNORED

Replacing Oil Pan on 86 VR

As Venture jobs go, this is real easy. Drain the oil and remove a bunch of allen head bolts and the wire for the low oil level switch to remove. You may have to tap the old pan with a soft hammer to get the gasket to release the pan. Clean up the gasket surface and put the new pan back on. Probably about 45-60 minutes.

Thank you very much. I'm 2nd in line on a craigs list 86 Venture Royale with 78K. The left rear bag was side swiped by a car however the rider did not get hurt and the bike was not dropped. He was riding it to work sometime after the accident and he drove over something on his way to work. When his work day ended there was a puddle of oil under the VR. The left mirror mount on the fairing and the left faring side is marred up from another accident. He's asking $500 for it. I'm hoping to pick it to fix, however I'm thinking it would also be a good parts bike for my 89 VR. I myself have only owned my 89 VR for about 3 months and so I do not know much about repair estimates. Thank you again. If I should have more concerns than related to the cracked oil pan, please comment.

I've experienced the kind, helping hand from this org in the 3 months I've had my 89 VR. It is awsome the help and knowledge in the org. I hope to be sharing and helping as I get more experience. To a good degree I'm a project person in doing much of my own repairs on many projects including my VR. Receiving encouragement from this group is like having a close neighbor and friend that provides extra energy in starting and completing a project. When one shares in a constructive and progressive way it is like participating in the project. Any one know of a good Bayliner Boat org. I have an 88 20' Bayliner with a 305 Chev with about 400 hours on it, that I bought new and for 12 years it ran great then it stopped. I gave up after a few years and bought a couple of used jet skiis. Years later I took the boat to a local mechanic, he checked out the electricial and the fuel but no luck. So before I take it to a shop next year. Well that is what I have been saying each year. If you know of any good boat group like the Venture Riders please let me know.

Very few differences.

For some reason they changed the lower fork tubes in 87, moved the anti dives from the front (pre '87) to the side (87+). Even then, I believe you could interchange the tubes.

Of course colors changed year to year.

Other than that I'm not aware of any differences.

Oh, one more thing. In 86 I believe they Venture was still available in a Standard. By 89 they were available Royale only. If the 86 is a standard it won't have the CB, cruise and all that that your 89 has. I believe the standard also used a different wiring harness because it didn't need the connections for all the Royale extras.

Front forks are different but interchangeable. I can't reemember which year they changed the TCI and pickup coil to a single pickup, I think it was '89 so that and the harness will be different...

1990 was then they went from the TCI to the single pickup computerized ignition. The 89 still has a TCI.