IGNORED

Tire ???

Verninator

I asked my local Stealer to check on the Dunlop Elite 3' for my 09' venture, they said that Elite 3's didn't have size for the Venture. So is there a different size listed for that tire, for the Venture?? What am I missing ? besides the usual IQ stuff.

My Factory Rear tire is done at 6200 miles,, I keep it at correct press, etc... no burnouts :(

Thanks Vern

I asked my local Stealer to check on the Dunlop Elite 3' for my 09' venture, they said that Elite 3's didn't have size for the Venture. So is there a different size listed for that tire, for the Venture?? What am I missing ? besides the usual IQ stuff.

My Factory Rear tire is done at 6200 miles,, I keep it at correct press, etc... no burnouts :(

Thanks Vern

Vern....you need a new dealer, they make the E3's in the sizes for both the 1st and 2nd gens front and rear.

The Dunlop web site lists this specific bike and the recommended tire size. Any dealer that cannot figure that out is questionable in all other areas - I would be very concerned in believing anything they say without cross-checking.

Hopefully it was just an ignorant kid on the parts counter that didn't have a clue that there are multiple different tire size designations. But still . . .

The correct rear E3 is an MV85-15.

Goose

Thanks Vern

Please tell me you didn't go to Purcell's. That place just flat out has the worst service dept. Friend of mine just had 2 Avons mounted on his HD Ultra at JP cycles in Daytona for around 350 bucks. Maybe they can do a good deal for you for those Dunlops.

thanks everyone,,,, lots of good input

Goose,, the size you gave was what I was looking for, When I asked the Stealer, about the E3's we both were using 150/80-15,, I new I had seen the MV85-15 but didn't remember. I was considering the ME 880's,, have always had good experience with them but have heard a few people here were having problems with them. I wanted to try something new. The Stealer that I am using for the first time, is Jax PowerSports in Yulee, Fl. She quoted the Rear ME880 @ 194.00 OTD free M & B. I have used their Store on Atlantic blvd for tires a few times and they did a very good job, no problems,money was right, done on schedule.

I'm going to ask another goofy ??? Why are the sizes listed different. i.e. 150/80-15 as opposed to MV85-15?

Thanks Vern

Hey Ruffy,,,,, NO I ReFuse to deal with Purcells, they are know for very Questionable buisness practicies. well they just suck. I normally use Beach blvd powersports, Sam G is really cool ( Parts Mgr) but the last time I put tires on my ST 1300 the price was too high and I was charged M&B, normally i wasn't. the OTD was $265.00 for a Rear AVON Storm . So I am shopping for better Prices.I would like to try the E3's see what kind of Miles I can get out of them.

Thanks again for the input

Vern

Guest scarylarry

It could be that the dealer stocks and sells another brand like mine does and rips Dunlop every chance he can..

Just a thought

Guest scarylarry
Hey Ruffy,,,,, NO I ReFuse to deal with Purcells, they are know for very Questionable buisness practicies. well they just suck. I normally use Beach blvd powersports, Sam G is really cool ( Parts Mgr) but the last time I put tires on my ST 1300 the price was too high and I was charged M&B, normally i wasn't. the OTD was $265.00 for a Rear AVON Storm . So I am shopping for better Prices.I would like to try the E3's see what kind of Miles I can get out of them.

Thanks again for the input

Vern

Best price I found on the E3's was from Jake Wilson also you can find coupons that can save you some...

I usually order my tires online and take the wheels off and bring them to the dealer to install.

Gives me a chance to do all the maintenance it needs the right way. I use the Moto Guzzi dealer on Mayport road to do the tire install.

I'm going to ask another goofy ??? Why are the sizes listed different. i.e. 150/80-15 as opposed to MV85-15?

Thanks Vern

Technology changes and requires more info than the existing measurements can cover. For example, way back in the 60s and 70s (and long before), all bike tires were pretty similar in construction and profile, so the only tire size designation was width x rim diameter, such as a 4.50 x 18. Then they started making different tire profiles that changed the height of the tire from the rim, so they needed a different designation that could cover that too. The 150/80 designation covers both the width and the height by using the second number as a percentage of the width. Then just to confuse things more, old measurements are in inches and new ones are in mm.

I'm sure there is some other special need that was covered by the new MV designation, but frankly, I have been too disinterested to research it. Of course, they could just be deliberately trying to confuse the customers so you can't buy different brands . . . (that's a bit negative, but manufacturers have been known to do things like that before!).

Goose

Edited by V7Goose

When I went to replace my tires with Elite 3's, the dealer had them on sale. Their sale price was still high. I told the guy at the parts counter that I could get then cheaper at a lot of different places. He said, Where? I said all the motorcycle mags had them cheaper. He said name one. I said that even JP Cycles had them cheaper. He went to their website, and yes, they were cheaper than their's that were on sale. About that time the parts manager walked by, and he showed him the difference in prices.. I got the set of tires for the JP Cycle price...

:big-grin-emoticon:

Edited by davecb
can't type

I realize buying direct from warehouses you get items much cheaper.

However,, its alot like people buying all their postage online , or paying everything online,,,, Keep doing that and all the US Postal workers will also be unemployed too.

.44 cents for a Stamp is pretty Cheap when you consider what you're paying for. Look past the Stamp.

To me using the dealers helps my local economy, & I get to spend what little FREE time I have riding instead of turning wrenches,,, Which I do 6-7 days a week at work & Side Jobs. and working on my Property. Our country/people,,,, Well we aren't helping the small guys in our own communities by buying from L.A. or IL.

There's not much profit in one tire @ $194.00 When you're paying for Building, Employees, Insurances, supplies, ETC...... I'll help my community as much as possible as long as they continue to be logically competitive, polite and cool place to hang out for alittle while,, Never know who you'll meet while waiting on a tire.

Later Vern :backinmyday:

Stay away from the ME880's. They like to shed rubber.

Not on my momma's boy's '99RSV they don't!!:Venture:

I'm on my second set of ME880's, and have 15K on both the front and rear, and my first set had over 18K when I changed them out last February. And not a bit of rubber ever "chunked" off any of them.

I'm sure it's happened, as it probably has on most brands, and to each their own preference, but my experience with the 880's are very good now for the last 3+ years.

However,, its alot like people buying all their postage online , or paying everything online,,,, Keep doing that and all the US Postal workers will also be unemployed too.

.44 cents for a Stamp is pretty Cheap when you consider what you're paying for. Look past the Stamp.

Hey, im a Postal Worker. The item still has to be shipped!! But thanks for the support....:smile5:

vern ,not trying to put anyone out of a job, but iam a do it yourself guy. have my own tire changer and do my own work up to a point. reason i do it myself cause iam not driving 55 minutes to nearest dealer and pay $226.00 for front tire change that i can do for $112.00. cant afford it. if i had the money and time maybe? plus i enjoy doing stuff myself.

To me using the dealers helps my local economy, & I get to spend what little FREE time I have riding instead of turning wrenches,,, Which I do 6-7 days a week at work & Side Jobs. and working on my Property. Our country/people,,,, Well we aren't helping the small guys in our own communities by buying from L.A. or IL.

There's not much profit in one tire @ $194.00 When you're paying for Building, Employees, Insurances, supplies, ETC...... I'll help my community as much as possible as long as they continue to be logically competitive, polite and cool place to hang out for alittle while,, Never know who you'll meet while waiting on a tire.

Yea, me too! I just don't feel like $64.00 more for the same tire plus driving 90 miles round trip isn't too competitive.