IGNORED

Leaking fuel

firefly

I have an 89 Royale. After a poker run last Sunday I started leaking fuel from in front of the rear wheel. I pulled the side covers and found 4 hoses that run along and to the back of the tank. It seems one of them is leaking. It only leaks when the bike is running. RPM's are down and bike seems to be maybe flooding out. Could this be a stuck float and the line an overflow or vent line for the carb.? I didn't have much time to dig further. Thought I should consult someone before I began tearing into things. I tend to create more work for myself unless I check first. Any advise and help is appreciated.

Thanks,

firefly:fireman:

You are correct in your assessment. The hoses are the overflow hoses from the carbs. Check to see which one is the one running fuel out of it and follow it back to the hemorrhaging carb. Sometimes you can remove the drain plug from the carb and turn on the key to get the fuel pump running. Tap on this carb and you "might" dislodge the crud that is holding open the needle. If crud is getting past your fuel filter it might be time to replace it. Sometimes Seafoam can help dissolve some troublesome gunk also.:2cents:

This worked for me when mine did the same thing. Turn the fuel valve to the off position. It may be tight and hard to turn, I put a rag over the knob and used a pair of pliers to turn it. I sprayed it with silicone spray first, it seemed to help. Start the bike and let it run until it runs out of gas and stalls. Rap the aluminum covers of the carbs with the plastic handle of a large screwdriver a couple of times. Put a half of can of Seafoam in the gas tank. Turn the fuel valve back on (I leave mine in the reserve position) and start the bike and it should be cleared up. It sounds like there is a piece of dirt stuck in the float valve.

Dave