IGNORED

Speedometer cable installation

Can someone direct me to a 'How To' guide on the removal/installation of a speedo cable? I've removed the windshield and headlight assy. and can touch the connection point with one finger but can't for the life of me figure out how to route the cable and then attach it. Do I need to do more dis-assembly?

On a related topic, I noticed that all the rubber holders for the relays behind the headlight have dry rotted and broken. Anyone have a suggestion for making repairs. Might not hurt anything the way they are, but I sure don't want 'em bangin' around in there...

Can someone direct me to a 'How To' guide on the removal/installation of a speedo cable? I've removed the windshield and headlight assy. and can touch the connection point with one finger but can't for the life of me figure out how to route the cable and then attach it. Do I need to do more dis-assembly?

On a related topic, I noticed that all the rubber holders for the relays behind the headlight have dry rotted and broken. Anyone have a suggestion for making repairs. Might not hurt anything the way they are, but I sure don't want 'em bangin' around in there...

Easy way is to pull the headlight & possibly undo the 2 bolts holding the dash mounts in place(allowing the dash to be lifted up some). Also I normally put the inner cable in the case, opposite from OEM, so if the bottom end should come undone, the cable will not be lost.

My relays have been sitting loose for years.

Hey Stephen,

Unless the "Outer Sheath" of the speedo cable has been damaged, or looks really ugly, or the end of the broken cable is jammed it the speedo housing, you can feed the inner drive cable for the speedo up thru the sheath already attached to the back of the speedo by inserting the speedo drive cable down by the wheel until it reaches the back of the speedo drive. Once it is there, rotate the drive cable between your thumb and forfinger until it drops into the drive dog for the speedo. Insert the other end of the drive cable in the unit down next to the front wheel and attach the sheath. No need to remove anything then. If you do absolutely need to get to the back of the dash, then the dash has got to come out.

As far as the relays go, I used Zip Ties to secure everything in the fairing. I got the black ones so they would not be visible, I also use them to hold the wiring harness to the frame in more places than stock. This cleaned up the electrical part of my bike nicely.:thumbsup2:

Hope this helps,

Earl