IGNORED

Oil Filter Adapter

I am wanting to install the spin on oil filter adapter and have one question. On the original canister type the bolt has some type of pressure regulator in the bolt. Does these adapter plates have this valve or does the bike really need it? I would love to add this to my bike but was afraid of damage to the bike by eliminating this valve.

I know for a fact that my Virago has two separate valves - pressure regulator and filter bypass. The regulator is situated inside the engine in the feed line from the pump to the filter, and if oil pressure goes over 70 psi it bleeds the excess off to the sump. The bypass is built in to the filter element and lets unfiltered oil through when the filter backpressure reaches a certain level to ensure oil flow to the engine.

I just perused the manual and part diagrams for the Venture. I can't find reference to a pressure regulator valve, so I suspect it is built in to the oil pump. The filter bypass is indeed inside the center bolt, and the spin-on should include something like that.

As I wrote recently, don't think of the filter bypass as an "emergency" thing that only takes effect when the filter is really plugged. Engines use the filter bypass all the time, especially when cold.

Jeremy