IGNORED

Speedo Healer and RSV

Hi guys, just to touch base on the Speedo Healer for the RSV..

My bike would report back roughly 10% discrepancy in it's speedo and the GPS speed.. reconfirmed with another vehicle etc.. So I'm good and sure my speed is reading 10% under the actual speed.. 110 kph highway speed reads 120 kph on my speedo.. So I usually have my GPS mounted for accurate speed readings.. Not a prob but ya know how it is.. dang, I would like the bike to be accurate too huh..

A few years ago I had purchased a Speedo Healer for my 2005 1100 VStar but never got around to installing it on the bike for one reason or another.. So it sat in the box for a few years..

An article by Freebird in regards to "gear indicator" had a mention in there about Speedo Healers.. and it reminded me "darn I wish I had one of those for the RSV"... and funny enough the one for the VStar is the same one you would use for the RSV.. =)

And wouldn't you know it.. the installation is bone stupid simple.. literally "plug and play" and there is an online calculator to help you with the settings on the unit.. a row of 6 dip switches have to be selected in a certain sequence to input the properly 'correction' into the unit's flash to make it all work ok..

I just took the bike out for a test ride and wow.. now THAT's locked in tight for speed.. A quick steady speed up the highway at 100 kph on the GPS shows also 100 kph on the bike's speedo... down to 40 kph in residential and same thing.. wow, it works!!

The only thing I have to remember now is to NOT add an additional 10 kph to my bike's speedo other wise I will be speeding!

VERY impressed.. wow..

You can find more info on these at http://www.healtech-electronics.com/

Someone had put up an installation guide.. it took longer to read the guide than it was to actually install the unit.. ;)

http://www.speedohealer.com/your_pics/royalstar/sh_install_royalstar.pdf

It only took me 3 years but I finally put mine to use LOL.. I'll have to go through my box of goodies and see what else I might be able to put to use..

Your odo will be off now. The speedo on the rsv is wrong without the speedohealer but the odo is right. Once you correct the speed with the speedohealer the odo will be low if I remember right

With my RSV, I found the odo to be off too, but not nearly as far as the speedo. When I installed a speedohealer a couple of years ago, instead of correcting the speedo with a gps, I corrected the odo by synchronizing it with a route (my 30 mile commute) that I knew the exact distance for by measuring it with my car. Now, I believe my speedo is high by 1 or 2 mph at 60 (which I'm OK with), but my odo is at least as accurate as my car's odo.

Rich

In regards to the ODO vs SPEEDO being off, I'd sooner avoid a speeding ticket than be 3% late or early for an oil change.. or knowing if I actually burnt off 33,500 miles on the bike this summer or actually 31,500 miles. ya know?

In the overall scheme of things, for ME, the over all mileage isn't as important or critical as your actual factual exact speed, ya know? "over all"..

But, to each his / her / it own..

Btw, another bird strike last night and today... total for the year: 18

Oh doods, my ride partner has personally witnessed 13 or 14 of these hits as usually rides trail..

In my 30 yrs military career I've been downed twice due to bird strikes (safe emergency landings).. and as a civilian pilot took 'something rather large' through the prop of a C-172 and through the windshield.. (again, a somewhat safe landing..)

Seriously, I'm not jinxed.. no.. really..