IGNORED

Are you happy with only five gears? How bad are the vibes?

Humbucker

I have a Vulcan 1600 Classic, which has a five speed, counter-balanced V-twin engine.

At highway speeds, I find that there's a fair amount of high-frequency vibes that come through the floorboards and to a lesser extent, through the hand grips too.

Is this also apparent on the Venture? And do you feel that the lack of a sixth gear is a big deal? Is the engine maybe a bit busy when up to highway speeds since it only has a five speed transmission, causing any kind of noticeable buzzing/vibrating?

Edited by Humbucker

I have been riding parallel twins for some time... (Triumphs) and at upper highway speeds I am ALWAYS reaching for another gear. In two weeks on the RSTD, I haven't reached for 6th even once. IMHO, the V4 is actually smoother at those higher speeds. The 5th on this bike is much closer to a true overdrive than the top gear on any of the other bikes I have had.

Guest tx2sturgis

The 5 speed tranny in these bikes is a wide-ratio 5 speed and 5th is a true overdrive. Its geared perfectly.

In other words, no 6th, or 7th or 8th gear is needed. 1st gear is very low...and 5th is almost too high...I said almost. The only way a 6th gear would be of any value is to the salesman.

I am by no means an expert, but I just bought my 2nd Gen today and had about a 130 mile ride home on the interstate. This thing has plenty of legroom in the gearbox. You don't even need to think about 5th gear under about 70 mph. Excellent highway bike.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

I asked this dumb question because I've never had the chance to ride a Venture for myself. I know that the buzzing from my 1600 Classic kind of drives me nuts whenever I get out on the highway for any extended time.

I wasn't sure if there were any issues with these V-4s. Thanks for setting me straight, this bike just sounds better all the time!:happy34:

I always felt like the First Gens had a sweet spot about 65MPH indicated, just seems any vibration it might have settles down and every thing feels real smooth.

The Second Gen seems to feel better at about 70-75 MPH and I find that I ride at that speed quite a lot.

Maybe it's not vibrations but instead speeds I feel comfortable at? Don't know but I can fall asleep running down the highway.

BOO

Rode around for a couple of days on the '99 when I first bought it. Finally got out on the freeway up shifting as needed. Looked down at the dash and there was a light on I hadn't seen before. Thought 'oh cr@p' and started looking for an exit. Started to down shift into 4th and the dang thing went away. Then the lightbulb went on. 5th gear indicator light.... DOH!!! :bang head:

Rode around for a couple of days on the '99 when I first bought it. Finally got out on the freeway up shifting as needed. Looked down at the dash and there was a light on I hadn't seen before. Thought 'oh cr@p' and started looking for an exit. Started to down shift into 4th and the dang thing went away. Then the lightbulb went on. 5th gear indicator light.... DOH!!! :bang head:

YEAH, I know, doesn't that drive you absolutely bonkers, when a manufacturer makes a new model of a product that is actually WORSE than the older model!!

:smilies6: