IGNORED

ya'll have me confused

hipshot

as i understand it, on the '99 and up models, there is a "transmission whine", AND a "chirp".

i understand the "square cut gears" causing the whine, but WHERE is the chirp coming from?

is it maybe the final drive not set correctly with relation to the rear wheel pins?

can the rear wheel installation be altered to get rid of the chirp? like maybe in the wrong position in lining up the pins?

just curious, i don't know squat about these new fangled bikes.

just jt

Dan, my 85 has a nasty whine on hot days around 3000 rpm and of course thats usually about the speed the bike and I like to run at............... and its the bike,,,, not the passenger or driver....

Brian

Same here 3000 rpm big whine I also have a slight rumble in neutral. Goes away when I pull the clutch in. Replaced the bearing on the pressure plate still get the whine. I wonder if I have a big bearing problem deep in the tranny.

as i understand it, on the '99 and up models, there is a "transmission whine", AND a "chirp".

i understand the "square cut gears" causing the whine, but WHERE is the chirp coming from?

is it maybe the final drive not set correctly with relation to the rear wheel pins?

can the rear wheel installation be altered to get rid of the chirp? like maybe in the wrong position in lining up the pins?

just curious, i don't know squat about these new fangled bikes.

just jt

I think the use of the description "chirp" is because it sounds like the collective chirping of thousands of crickets at night. Individually they chirp, but collectively the song sounds just like a Yamaha primary gear set.

FWIW, it's a rare Yamaha (except the few chain primary models) where I can't hear the "chirp". I also occasionally hear it on other manufacturers motorcycles.