IGNORED

bad headset cable, how to replace

dynodon

The factory headset cable (the one that clips to the side of the "tank cover" on my '86 VR, appears to have a short in it. The right channel comes and goes and is getting worse.

Has anyone replaced this cable and what is involved? I am guessing that it might be available from Yamaha, but anyone have a known good one they want to part with?

Thanks

They are no longer available from Yamaha.

Sierra sells one that will work. You get a pair of them (for front and rear) for $51. They do not have the connection for the attenuator (that little volume control on the handlebar box) so you lose that functionality.

LINK TO SIERRA.

I replaced mine with one and while it's a bit long it does the job. I already sold the 2nd one to someone else.

It's the cord that goes from inside the fairing to the side of the tank (fake tank cover) and that you plug your helmet/headset cord into. Just the one for the rider, no the passenger.

After posting I did notice it isn't available from Yamaha anymore. So I guess I am going to have to get one from a parts bike.

It's the cord that goes from inside the fairing to the side of the tank (fake tank cover) and that you plug your helmet/headset cord into. Just the one for the rider, no the passenger.

After posting I did notice it isn't available from Yamaha anymore. So I guess I am going to have to get one from a parts bike.

PM me your address, I'll send you one.

• 6 months later...

Some of your issue may not be in the cord at all,,,, it may lie in the connections between the controls and the amplifier itself. You can see these when you lift the control panel out of the bike. They need to be brought a little closer together, I did 3 bikes now, just by adding washers under the connectors and solved their problems.

wiggle your tuner around. It may be that the connector pins are not making good contact.I had the same symptoms.Back in the day this was a known problem,which I had on my 83 and later on the 86 as the miles piled up.I had to hard wire the 83 to fix it.Just refastening the connections worked for the 86.