IGNORED

Growing Tires?

Guest jakenator6

Guest jakenator6

This summer I replaced the tires on the '06 Venture, deciding to use the same Dunlop D-404's that came on it. I ordered front and rear from SW Moto Tire and I ordered the same sizes that came on the bike (150/90-HB-15 rear and 150/80-HB-16 front). The new rear tire is not the same size as the one that came on the bike...although all markings indicate they should be. Once installed, the new rear tire has about .5" more clearance between tire and swing arm...and the guy who mounted the rear tire commented on the difference in sizes. Yes, the wheel is properly mounted and aligned.

I wrote to SW Moto Tire describing the situation and asking why two tires supposed to be identical were not. Blaine responded, "Sorry I do not know the answer to that question." This was not particularly helpful and Blaine apparently was not particularly curious to learn more about his business.

I wrote to Dunlop with the same description and question. After a long time, A. Wittmeyer wrote, "Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We apologize for the delay in response time. We have been attending various motorcycle rallies around the country and have gotten a little behind in e-mails. It is very difficult to compare the dimensions of a new tire versus a used tire. A used tire will change dimensions due to growth and load. In all likelihood, the tires were very similar in dimension when both were new." This response I found to be amazing.

The Venture is the 37th motorcycle I've owned over 40 years of riding. The bikes have been all types and sizes, but they have all had one thing in common...they have all had tires on them. So, I have seen a few tires in my days and not a single one of them has demonstrated any capacity whatever to grow. Nor do I recall ever reading a technical article discussing the growth of tires.

My question to this august group is, have any of you experienced this tire growth phenomenon? My tendency here is to call BS on Dunlop and chide SW Moto Tire for a lack of professionalism. Have I missed something and are my expectations for vendors and manufacturers out of line? Thanks, JPH

Maybe it didn't "grow' but moved it shape around. Kinda like men, right? We start off nice, slim and tall and them as the miles get put on we become shorter and rounder in the middle. :whistling:

I can easily see why that phenomenon would occur given the weight carried by it over its life. Maybe the pressures run were not always up to max suggested for the weight carried. That could cause the tire to stretch or flatten as it did.

Not sure why SWMoto should be blamed/chided. Sounds like he gave an honest answer even IF you didn't like it. :think: As did Dunlop, I do not think this is a quality issue.

Guest KitCarson

I have not seen my front tire grow any.......Chinko the little black dog watered mine good last week when it was sitting in driveway.....I just checked it with a tape measure.....it has not grown any........:rotf::rotf::rotf::stirthepot: Kit