IGNORED

Difference between 15 and 16 front tires

I have MT 90 B 16 wide white walls Avon Venoms on my 2000 MM Venture.

Need to get new tires. I know that some guys use the more narrow tires than the spec.

My previous bike was a Gen 1 with Metzler 880s. I thought that thing handled great. I love the look of this bike but it has never felt like it handled as well. What is the performance difference between the more narrow tire vs the stock tire? I have heard many people saying great things about these Venoms. My tire shop said they dont make the rear any more. Is that accurate?

Thanks,

Bob

The 15 - 16 number you mention is the rims mounting diameter.

In a given tire code such as 150/80-16.

The 150 refers to the width of the tire in millimeters.

The 80 refers to the Aspect ratio - This sidewall's height is roughly 80% of the tire's width.

The 16 refers to the rims mounting diameter.

The one number which is fairly set in stone is the diameter number, you have to change rims to change this number on tires.

The other two numbers are some what more flexible.

There is the maximum width that can be mounted safely on a rim, as well as the maximum width that the suspension will allow due to frame members rubbing wider tires.

Tires are one of the topics that have the most varied opinions on here. Second would probably be oil, followed by charging systems.

Gary

what they are changing is the width, not the diameter. The stock tire is a 150/80, the narrow (also slightly shorter) tire is a 130/80. Some say the 130 increases slow speed handling, other say the 130 wanders at speed. Just have to try it yourself. If you type "130" into the search there should be plenty for you to read.