IGNORED

Rear rotors

Guest Bob57

Can someone tell me how hard it is to replace the rear rotors on a 93 VR? I do have the repair manual. Also, where can I get replacement rotors other than from Yamaha? Can you trust used ones on ebay?

You can get them from Yamaha, but they are WAY expensive. A used one is likely to be expensive and maybe not usable.

Here is a link to a site with the most affordable good disk that I have found, I haven't bought one yet, but will soon: (story to follow, please keep reading)

http://www.perfectbrakes.com/products.asp?cat=8906

A couple years ago I had my local Yamaha dealer put on a new rear disk, he got me one for about what the one in the link is, but it had slots that were 90 degrees to the axle. This disk vibrates and squeals something awful. Make sure whatever disk you get has the slots/holes drilled at an angle or curve. And don't go for the hardest pads, softer pads will be cheaper to replace than the disk! Plus they will bite hard and not make noise. A little extra dust will be the worst you have.

You can get them from Yamaha, but they are WAY expensive. A used one is likely to be expensive and maybe not usable.

Here is a link to a site with the most affordable good disk that I have found.

I have the EBC rotors on my 83 & got them at Dennis Kirk,

Here is the link for the ENC rotor from there.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=195298&store=Main&catId=&productId=p194765&leafCatId=&mmyId=11449

I would say the hardest part of replacing it is getting the 6 metric allen head screws out. They are loctited in, and the best thing to do is to heat them first to soften the loctite. Use blue loctite sparingly when reinstalling, a little dab will do you...

For EBC's you may want to try Rick at Buckeye as ventureriders gets a discount, and I think Skydoc17, Earl is also selling them.