IGNORED

Things to look forward to going wrong

I am looking at an 07 Venture with about 9K on it. They tell me this bike has a factory warrenty until next year I think. ANyways I was lloking thru the fourms here trying to see what kind of things that might need attenetion I have to look forward to. I read something about the clutch whining (should be a warrenty item). What are some of the other common item that just seem to go bad? Not that something with 9K on it should be bad. Heck its only like on its second oil change right? :doh:

Your warranty is 5 years from the date it was first titled without mileage limitation. So depending on when it was first sold (07, 08, 09) you could have a lot of warranty left. It would be 5 years from the date is was first sold not necessarily the model year. :thumbsup2:

I am looking at an 07 Venture with about 9K on it. They tell me this bike has a factory warranty until next year I think. Anyways I was looking thru the forums here trying to see what kind of things that might need attention I have to look forward to. I read something about the clutch whining (should be a warranty item). What are some of the other common item that just seem to go bad? Not that something with 9K on it should be bad. Heck its only like on its second oil change right? :doh:

The only thing I can think of is watch for the leaking rear shock, they go occasionally. If the bike is not chirping already it shouldn't start. Royal Stars are noted for having a weak clutch spring that may start slipping eventually and have to be replaced or upgraded.

They all have some trans and clutch whine, but the chirp is different and louder, and can be very loud at highway speeds on a few bikes. But again, if you test ride it and it is not obnoxiously loud, you shouldn't have to worry about it.

My 07 has a mere 16K on it and I have had no problems at all.

If the dealer won't be straight with you on the warranty...1-800-983-4500 is their assistance line. With the VIN they should be able to give an exact date the warranty expires.

Like others said, the whine is the one thing they can't fix...they can make it better by replacing the primary (clutch basket) but it won't completely go away. If your lucky and are tone deaf then it won't be an issue. At 9k may be why the original owner got rid of it.

I would test ride it...if its there you should here it through the top four gears at 25, 35, 45, 55 mph...and on deceration. Mine was pretty bad but after the changing out the clutch basket it made it a big difference, not completely gone but tolerable.

Also don't expect great fuel mileage...my RSTD averages 35-38 mpg. Some claim to get in the low 40's on RSTD's and RSV's. Other than that I think they build a very reliable and quality product.

Poor fellow is getting ride of due to impending back surgery or has had surgery I forget. But anyways he cant ride anymore. I had back surgery last year and I feel better riding my Kawasaki 900 Classic than I do driving in a car.

So clutch deal seems to be the major issue. Should I have it worked on regardless of if it is squalling?

Poor fellow is getting ride of due to impending back surgery or has had surgery I forget. But anyways he cant ride anymore. I had back surgery last year and I feel better riding my Kawasaki 900 Classic than I do driving in a car.

So clutch deal seems to be the major issue. Should I have it worked on regardless of if it is squalling?

Some have reported that their's don't have the whine....if this one doesn't there's no need to have anything done to it. If it does seem like an issue, Yamaha will change it out ONCE under warranty.

It is only an issue if it is making noise, and the noise has nothing to do with reliability or breaking.

All make some whine because of the straight cut transmission gears, which are in a lot of different brands of bikes. And most of the Royal Stars are not loud and don't need anything done to them.

It is only an issue if it is making noise, and the noise has nothing to do with reliability or breaking.

All make some whine because of the straight cut transmission gears, which are in a lot of different brands of bikes. And most of the Royal Stars are not loud and don't need anything done to them.

Your right, its not a reliability issue. They're kinda like the old Mack trucks...you can't tear it up.

You still have about 2 years of warranty left. If you like the bike and its a good price, go ahead and buy it. Any issues can be handled under warranty. Some Yamaha dealers are better than others, so pick your shop wisely. I had almost 2 years of warranty left on my 99 and I took it into the dealer for warranty work even if I found some small issue just to get it taken care of for free.

Thanks fellas. I am trying to get my Legends Race Car sold. Have a couple of bites and I hope one of them comes thru. My next step would be call the gu ywith it and make sure its still available and then get the loan done.

Heading up to BIketoberfest Sat. Weather looks good so far.