IGNORED

Carburator advice needed

jfoster

I've got a '00 Honda Rancher, I don't ride it much and here lately it'll crank right up, but once the fuel is consumed out the carburator it goes dead. I'm doing the Seafoam treatment and some WD40 through the intake. I think the float was stuck and now it seems to be working (maybe)

While its idling I can watch the fuel line from the tank go empty through the glass filter...it gets just enough to idle and nothing more.

I've pulled the fuel line off and have good flow. I've checked the breather tube on the gas cap and its open. I've drained the bowel on the carburator out several times. Any advise on what to check next (would a poor vacuum cause this) or should I break down and find a mechanic.

Thanks for ya's input.

I've got a '00 Honda Rancher, I don't ride it much and here lately it'll crank right up, but once the fuel is consumed out the carburator it goes dead. I'm doing the Seafoam treatment and some WD40 through the intake. I think the float was stuck and now it seems to be working (maybe)

While its idling I can watch the fuel line from the tank go empty through the glass filter...it gets just enough to idle and nothing more.

I've pulled the fuel line off and have good flow. I've checked the breather tube on the gas cap and its open. I've drained the bowel on the carburator out several times. Any advise on what to check next (would a poor vacuum cause this) or should I break down and find a mechanic.

Thanks for ya's input.

More Sea-Foam. STRONG!! Do a soak on them.

You either have a clogged fuel filter or a kinked hose. My money is on an old fuel filter.

Of course, anything that obstructs the fuel flow will cause identical symptoms, so if you do not have a fuel filter I'd suspect varnish and bits of dead things lodged in the float needle valves.

Goose

The fuel petcock attaches to the fuel tank with 2 or 3 screws. (I'm not sure the year they changed the connection method) Drain the fuel tank, remove the petcock, and there will be a brass tube, (or two if your quad has a reserve position on the petcock) There will either be one big screen at the base of the petcock or a smaller screen at the end of the brass fuel tube. I usually just replace the screen rather than try to pick all of the crud out of the screen, but that is up to you. :confused24: As the other members have pointed out, a new fuel filter is an excellent idea as well.

Earl