IGNORED

muffler slip on issue

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. 89 VR about 70k on her and I have a rear wheel bearing that has worn out. what i thought would be the easy part, getting the right side slip on can off, is now apparently going to be the toughest.:think: the joint is all rusted together and I can't get it to brake loose. I got the old muffler clamp off by twisting the head of the bolt off. the joint obviousy is rusty. I've soaked in penetrating fluid for a few days now. it looks cleaner but not budging. I've tried hitting the end with a hammer..nothing. tried heat..nothing. put a strap around the can so I could have someone pull as i hammered below...nothing. i did remove the mount bolt by the rear footrest. any help would be appreciated. I'm worried I'm going damage the collector if I rip and snort much more.

can the rear wheel be dropped any lower by removing a linkage bolt? I need to get the rear axle out.

thanks much Bob.

My BIL has an 83 that had the same problem back in 2008. I figured that the mufflers hadn't been removed for a very, very long time and when he tried removing them, one (the lh muffler) simply wouldnt come free of the collecter pipe. It appeared to be rusted solid. We finally got it moving by twisting the muffler rather than applying rearward force. I used one of those strap wrenches and got it moving ccw, turned the strap wrench around and rotated the muffler a little cw. Keep that up while spraying WD40 on the connection and after several back and forth twists, starting applying rearward force and finally we were making progress with it coming free. The more we were able to twist the muffler and work WD40 into the connection, the easier it became. Eventually the muffler was free. Good luck.

Hey Bob,

I have had pretty good luck with this method:

Grab the end of the turn down, (very rear of the bike, side bag removed) with your back on the floor. Use a medium pressure yank to lower the muffler strait down. The end of the muffler opposite the collector end should drop an inch or two. Now thrust the muffler strait up, then strait down, then strait up, etc.

until the swing of the muffler end is one foot. Now, move to the side of the bike and sit on your rump with your legs crossed. Using a medium yank again, pull the muffler towards you, it should only move an inch or two. Now push the muffler away from you. Push and pull until the muffler moves about six to eight inches. Move to the rear end of the bike, standing and yank the muffler out of the collector. If the muffler doesn't come out start the process over again. Here is why you are using this method, The pinch clamp that holds the muffler in the collector has crimped the two pipes together in two different places. By swinging the muffler up and down, and side to side you expand the crimps and allow the muffler to slide out of the collector. The reason you use the lying and sitting position while swinging the muffler is so you DON'T put "Your back into it" and rupture the collector tube. If you wiggle that muffler up and down, and side to side a hundred times, this is better than rupturing the collector tube. When you do the end yank, don't be shy about it, but also brace yourself because when it lets loose, you'll be laying in your neighbor's front yard when it lets go if you don't have a leg behind you. I have an excellent set of exhaust clamps if you need them, Be patient, but be firm. Good luck with this project, :thumbsup2:

Earl

Hey Bob,

Don't beat yourself up too bad, This happens sometimes. Some people would NEVER remove the exhaust mufflers for fear of doing damage and never address the Maintenance issues with the rear of the bike as a result. Remove the collector and any decent muffler shop should be able to weld a new tube to the collector. Have a good look at all of the collector tubes and replace any that are "thin". While you have the collector out, have the weld shop cut open the bottom of the "can" and remove the center rib inside the collector. This should give you years of dependable service from this collector. :thumbsup2:

Earl