IGNORED

OEM Lightbar Adjustment

Guest Slab_Ryder

Guest Slab_Ryder

Well, I went hunting today and bagged my first Duck, with my '08 RSV Passing Lamps at about 70 km/h (45 mph). I have the Yamaha OEM Lightbar, you know the one, with the CRAP Sealed Beams! Coming home tonight from work, I noticed the left one is pointing down a bit compared to the right beam. It does not appear to be bent, so how do you adjust the lamp buckets up and down??

My riding buddy has 13 confirmed kills this season, so I am happy I am no longer feeling left out!

I have a 08 RSDT and had them install at shop when I bought the bike. Mine shine down bought 4 foot in front of the bike not sure how to adjust them up. they do move from side to side just by moving I think there is a nut inside the unit. If you find out please post.

You Probably have the same ones I have. Remove the outer ring and sealed beam. The bolt in the bottom needs to be loosened just enough to allow you to move it to the correct position. Then put the light back together, aim the light, then take it apart, then tighten the nut, then put it back together... repeat as necessary. Simple and straight forward... :doh:

It's not easy but this is what I did. You have to pull out the bulbs to get at the bolt on the inside. Since the wires run up though the bolt I took an allan wrench and ground about 1/2 of it away so it would still go in the hole but not interfere with the wires. Hold the allan wrench while you loosen the nut from below just enough to move the light housing. Use a straight edge like a carpenter square to align the light buckets from side to side across the front. Then use a 6" level to align the light buckets up and down. Now the hard part is tightening the bolts back up without moving the buckets. Put the bulbs back in and shine the light on the garage wall or something. They should be pretty close to level, at the same hight as the head light and straight ahead. Good luck.

You Probably have the same ones I have. Remove the outer ring and sealed beam. The bolt in the bottom needs to be loosened just enough to allow you to move it to the correct position. Then put the light back together, aim the light, then take it apart, then tighten the nut, then put it back together... repeat as necessary. Simple and straight forward... :doh:

Yep ya have to take the lamps out to adjust them to where you want them to shine. :yikes: a real pin in the butt !!

We adjusted the light easily enough.. Basically take the light out of the pot and slightly loosen the stem nut where the wire comes out of.. Hard to explain how, but grabbing the light pot with one hand and then the signal light with the other, ended up twisting the setup one way to the other, then slowly realigning everything again, you can easily see if you're pointing the pot up or down compared to where you started.

Tightening the stem nut and testing the light while holding it by hand saves you a lot of assembly dis-assembly until you get the alignment just right.. And luckily for us, I got it on the first try..

Man, that must have been one heck of a big duck to loosen that light bar as it was..

Wonder what was the last thing to go through that duck's mind JUST as it hit the light bar at 70 mph ;)

We adjusted the light easily enough.. Basically take the light out of the pot and slightly loosen the stem nut where the wire comes out of.. Hard to explain how, but grabbing the light pot with one hand and then the signal light with the other, ended up twisting the setup one way to the other, then slowly realigning everything again, you can easily see if you're pointing the pot up or down compared to where you started.

Tightening the stem nut and testing the light while holding it by hand saves you a lot of assembly dis-assembly until you get the alignment just right.. And luckily for us, I got it on the first try..

Man, that must have been one heck of a big duck to loosen that light bar as it was..

Wonder what was the last thing to go through that duck's mind JUST as it hit the light bar at 70 mph ;)

GO TOWARDS THE LIGHT??:confused24:

GO TOWARDS THE LIGHT??:confused24:

LOL good one, Kevin witnessed me hitting 13 birds this year on my RSV.. Last year the count was higher.. We ride a lot together and I've had a lot of weird 'bird encounters' like having a grouse pass between me and the windshield, clipping my shoulder as it passed through.. scary when you're doing 80 on the I95.. so close I couldn't see it but I could smell it.. close!

The scariest / funniest one (depending where you were at the time) was the crow incident last fall.. We're riding down a winding road in New Brunswick and all of a sudden everything went black! I couldn't see in front of me what so ever, I thought I was struck blind.. and then poof it's all there again.. guard rail, deep ditch, shoulder of the road, oncoming truck.. and a lucky swerve put me back in my lane.. Needless to say I had to pull over and change underwear.. What had happened was that a crow caught me in the face, but traveling in the same direction.. it had swooped down and I caught up to it without seeing it.. and basically had a close up view of a crow's anatomy that wasn't polite.. I didn't know what it was, but my buddy saw it.. Scared the heck out of me.. and yes, the underwear was abandoned on the side of the road.. ;)

Is it just me or are the Midnight RSV bird magnets? I'd rather have a babe magnet, might be safer..

No its not just the Midnight RSV's .So far I have a tally of one bat,1 blue bird,and 1 owl.I don't know how I hit the bat or blue bird just found them stuck between headlight and lightbar.The owl is a different story.Cynthia and I were riding home in the dark coming over Fairview canyon when an owl came out from the right just about windshield hight.It couldn't gain altitude and I was going faster then it could fly.It got just high enough to clear the windshield but it just about beat me to death around the helmet with its wings.Very scary.