IGNORED

Radio Bumps

my new warranty replacement radio has started to cut out and come back on when I hit sharp bump (bridge expansion joints, pot holes, fallen over HDs)

The audio will cut out and come back right away, and I noticed that the LCD display on the controller will also blip off and back on. I've checked all my harnesses again but the problem still seems to come and go depending on the bump I hit..

Is this common enough so to not worry about or might there be something 'jiggly' inside the radio itself that might be doing this?

my new warranty replacement radio has started to cut out and come back on when I hit sharp bump (bridge expansion joints, pot holes, fallen over HDs)

The audio will cut out and come back right away, and I noticed that the LCD display on the controller will also blip off and back on. I've checked all my harnesses again but the problem still seems to come and go depending on the bump I hit..

Is this common enough so to not worry about or might there be something 'jiggly' inside the radio itself that might be doing this?

Absolutely not. These radios are expensive to replace (out of pocket) so, I'd get it checked out.

If you checked all of your connections there is something else. If you haven't made it around to checking all of the grounds, that would be something to check.

Unfortunately there isn't much, in the way of diagnostics that we can do on these dumb things... :confused24:

Test this--- sit on the bike and push your butt back and down into the seat and see if the radio cuts out. if it does Remove your seat. There are some wires that cross right under the seat if you re-position them the problem should stop. I think when you bounce on the seat it pulls at the connections under the passenger seat.

Hope this helps

Test this--- sit on the bike and push your butt back and down into the seat and see if the radio cuts out. if it does Remove your seat. There are some wires that cross right under the seat if you re-position them the problem should stop. I think when you bounce on the seat it pulls at the connections under the passenger seat. Hope this helps

That's something I haven't tested.. but possible.. I know I had pinched wires on my VStar in this manner before so this is possible..

Thanks again, I'll let you know if it comes up with anything.. (time to go on a diet!!)

I had a very similar problem on my 08. After removing the fairing I did a thorough wiggle test at each connector. I found the one to the riders controller had some poor connections. The dealer was happy to repair it after I showed it to them.

Mike