IGNORED

redux - 1986 carb problem

Go to Youtube - type in 1986 venture carbs. It's the video by jamkitful

1986 VR carburation problem REDUX

Ok. Here's a link to the video of the problem with my bike... Dont know if anyone can glean anything from it but ???

I did all the previous tasks that everyone mentioned - tightened the airbox down, made sure there are no leaks, etc. etc. Still the bike runs extremely bad (almost like three cylinders).

It wont take throttle (barely). It runs a little better on choke than off choke but still bogs down and eventually dies.

I'm starting to think the guy that cleaned the carbs just missed or messed something up??

Either that or maybe it just needs synchronized (though I doubt that would make it runs this bad)?

If anyone has any further ideas I can check before I sdend this thing to the scrap heap - I would be appreciative. Thanks again.

Edited by ahunt2412
link not working

I'll give you 10 bucks for it.... It couldn't be much. If a jet is completely plugged pulling it is only way to get at it. Tyhe 86 i got from Skid was a great running machine. Til the day I got it. Really what had to have happened is Skid put some bad gas in it and parked it when he got 2nd Gen. Didn't start it enough and left sit a lot. Then I got it and must have put some more of the bad gas in it. I did everything I could think of but didn't want to get into those carbs on a bike that had been known to break 50 MPG. I was ready to give it back!!It took about 4 Sea-Foam treatments to get rid of it. But it now runs as good and I think a little better than it ever did. She took care of those 2nd Gens and Road Stars when she was ailing. Now.....:stirthepot:

So hang in there. My # is listed here and a few others that can get you thru this. never did see you say. Did you do a good Sea-Foam soak after you put them back on??

I have ran Sea foam through it... 2 cans so far. Put half a can in the tank , poured some in the carbs while and while not running. I'm not sure what a "soak" is - but im willing to do that too if necessary.

Should I take the carbs off again? Is there something I can look for in them that is causing

the symptoms its showing (not taking gas and throttling up?).

To do a "Soak" Mix about 1/2 Sea-Foam and !/2 fresh gas in a can bottle or whatever. You need about 1/2 pint of mixture to make sure you get it done right. Need a length of cheap fuel line about 12-18 inches. Pull left side cover to get at fuel pump. Clamp off intake line to fuel pump with small vice grips. I don't turn off at petcock because they are very easy to break on these things. Remove intake line and hook up length of fuel line. Put other end in bottle/can of mixture. Start Bike. Let it run til you are sure all carbs are full of mixture. It is better if you drain carb bowls before you do this part. It helps to be sure each carb is getting mixture.After it has ran til you are sure all carbs are full of mixture. Just shut it off and leave it sit at least overnight. I have let them sit 3 or 4 days. Not going to hurt anything. Fire it back up dump rest of mixture into tank and ride it like you stole it. This has been known to drown a plug til it won't fire back up now and then but it will clean carbs. Need to sync them.

I would take off the air filter and check to see if the slides are all moving properly.

I have had two slides come apart on my '86...at different times. The bike would start fine but run rough until it warmed up...then it ran like it was underpowered and sometimes backfired.

Sometimes the slides can stick as well.

From the video, it sounds to me like your bike is leaning out when you give it throttle, which would happen if one more slides is stuck in the idle position.

It's easy to eliminate the slides from the equation in any case.