IGNORED

Pop and BANG!

OK so I got the ventrue 1200 standard on the road, Legally now.

I ended up putting a set of Dunlop 404s on it...everything else was OK for the safety check.

Could someone tell me again what pressure I should be running on the front and rear (no class)...and in the tires. I'm about 210 lbs.

Its got a bad backfire. Only when I gear down agressively or if I really rev it up and back off in a lower gear. It backfires almost every time about 4200 rpm.

If I let the revs down gently, no backfire! but there is still some popping going on. There is a minor leak in the exhaust...just enough to give it a bit of a throaty sound...not bad at all (I don't like loud bikes unless it's a high performance rocket sled)

I put a 1/2 can of Seafoam into it but it hasn't made any difference so far.I've only ridden about 1 1/2 hr since I put it in.

I've tried to keep the revs up and did lots of hard accelleration to give it a good chance at cleaning everything out.

So where do I look for causes?

There is a pretty good chance that the backfiring is being caused by the exhaust leak. When you have an exhaust leak and let off of the throttle, the leak allows fresh air (oxygen) to be drawn into the exhaust system. When that fresh air hits the exhaust gas, which is rich when you decellerate, it explodes.

If you're talking about a standard Venture, I used to run about 55# in the rear and the dampening on '3' for normal use. When we left on a vacation and the bags and trunk were full, I'd usually put about 70#in.

Before I changed to the progressive fork springs, I used to run 15# in the forks. After the Progressives were installed, I ran zero air pressure. This was on an 83 Standard, but if you've got a Royale, I'm sure the rear settings will be different.

Frank

I poured seafoam directly into a carb that I had off the bike, that I could see the gummy stuff. Let it sit 6 hours ...nothing happened. Seafoam for carbs = snake oil.... I suggest a strong amount of Berryman's carb cleaner. Or Chevron, techron . But I have never seen anything run thru the fuel system totally unclogs a jet. But the 2 I suggest really do remove varnish and gummy crap. Popping can be coasting enrichers. Which is not a serious issue.Honestly popping is nothing to worry about...especially if it drives smoothly and goes when you twist the right grip.

Tire pressures. Run 10% less than the max shown on the sidewall for rear and 20% less for the front. That's a good start for most big bikes.

Edited by jasonm.