IGNORED

Amazing what a little TLC can do

Well, I got the bug to work on my VR this past weekend. The PO had let some things go and I thought it was time to correct them (and the wife was out of town at her sister's :whistling:)

Issues:

Front tire worn out

Front Springs sagging and bottoming out unless I had max air pressure in the shocks

Noticeable stumble when accelerating past 3500 rpm

Headlight a little dim

Too quiet (ok not an issue but something I wanted to change)

Original fuse box with glass fuses (scary)

First on the list was a new front tire and while I was there I replaced the springs with a progressive set from Skydoc. I also changed out the fork oil. Is this stuff supposed to be dark gray/black? The new Yamaha 10 wt fork oil was clear. Man! what a difference 1 hour worth of work can make, no more bottoming out and the bike tracks much truer through curves; no more pogo stick effect....wooottt.

Now the stumble had me concerned so I went out and bought some Sea Foam and promptly added a healthy dose to the system. I also decided to replace the plug wires and plugs. Not as easy as replacing plugs on the wife's Jeep Commander but not as hard as the Vette so it took me about 30 minutes to complete. Well all I can say is the stumble is gone and the bike definately idles smoother (albeit a little low ~400 rpm). I think I need to service the carbs but I am going to wait on an area expert (Skydoc) before I dive into that tangle of tubes and such.

Fixed the headlight by replacing the bulb with a Silverstar Xtra 9003 H4. I am amazed at the improvement made. Much better pattern and brighter white light even the low beam setting is much better.

The mufflers were modified by cutting off the turn-downs and cutting out the end baffle. I left the inner baffle and I have to say I really enjoy the sound; not at all obnoxious but mellow and very authoriative. Very similiar to the low end growl of a Ducati (at least to me) but smoother. I may have the turn-downs welded back into place but right now I am enjoying it.

Now the fuse box is still a work in progress but suffice it to say the glass fuses are history and in their place is are ATC fuses that light up when blown (pretty handy if trying to track down a blown fuse at night). I still need to fab up a holder but at least all the circuits are protected.

All in all, a weekend well spent and the bike rides like a new machine. Heck it only has 29K miles on it and I hope to take it 100k more.

There is a big thumb screw type between the two carbs on left side to set idle. Just have to take big side cover off. Easy once you find it. Just look up between the carbs from below and you can't miss it. Set idle in less than 5 min. Did you have removable turndowns with the springs? These are hard to come by.

Hey Mike,

I have attached a pic of the Idle Adjustment Thum Screw. It is on the left side of the bike, you will need to remove the side cover. You have to get down, and look up at the screw the first time to find it. Then, sitting on the bike, use your left thum and forefinger to rotate it.

Hope this helps,

Earl

I stand corrected; yes i have the removable turn-downs with the rubber gaskets and attachment springs. It was the end of the muffler I cut off not the turn-downs. :Laugh:

Ok I will try to find the idle adjustment screw. Although I think a re-sync of the carbs is in order and hopefully Skydoc can help me out on that one. I hear he is the man in the know about such things :backinmyday: :big-grin-emoticon:

Cool thanks Earl and Yammer Dan.

The picture soldified in my pea brain where to find it. Earl, BTW, the springs are working great. I used the PVC spacer provided; just trimmed the OD so it would fit inside the top cap (one with the o-ring) and pressed in the washer that sits on the spring. Gave me just a touch over an inch and is perfect with the 10 wt oil. Definately glad I did this first. Now I need to save the pennies for the caliper upgrade and delink kit.

Over time, yes plug wires do "wear out" (resistance increases, rubber drys out and cracks) although an easier fix is to often snip off a quarter inch from the end opposite the plug. However, not knowing the history of the bike and the fact the wires were 21 years old I felt it was time and I suspected an ignition issue was causing the stumble (hey even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then :)) so I went with the simplest items first.

• 2 weeks later...
Over time, yes plug wires do "wear out" (resistance increases, rubber drys out and cracks) although an easier fix is to often snip off a quarter inch from the end opposite the plug. However, not knowing the history of the bike and the fact the wires were 21 years old I felt it was time and I suspected an ignition issue was causing the stumble (hey even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then :)) so I went with the simplest items first.

Good explanation. Thanks. Yes, I will replace my own plug wires. I am making a upgrade list and that will be top of the list.

Iowa Guy